Everything D&D Ever - Temple of the Frog

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
It seems we have lost the majority of the group. I am inclined to call it quits here and reboot the campaign concept in a few months (this one, admittedly, got off to railroady start and ended up not quite capturing the feel I was going for).

Any strong reasons to keep this game on life support or shall we pull the plug?

Shayuri

First Post
Ready and rarin'...but you know, if you're not feeling it, don't force it. It's hard enough to keep a game alive when you DO feel it. :)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Here are my thoughts - I think it was a mistake to try to do this in order of approximate original release date. Temple of the Frog is not really a true adventure - its a location, and not very well detailed at that. I think a better approach would be to make a campaign sequence out of a group of classic adventures and take them one sequence at a time. For example - T1-4, A0-A4, GDQ1-7, and then top it off with S1. Then the next sequence could be B1 and B2, then X1, then a couple of the C adventures, and then...well, you get the idea.

I am currently working on a revised version of the setting, with a more coherent timeline and more detailed history.

Any thoughts?

Shayuri

First Post
That sounds like a very wise decision on your part. A lot of the old stuff wasn't really meant to be cohesive. People just farted out random adventures sometimes. :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Any thoughts?

Honestly, I think it's a matter of just playing. Very few of these modules are concerned about a unified setting, timeline, or history, and while it's fun to have it's not necessary if we are doing the old dungeon crawls - certainly not necessary to start. Establishing momentum and a rhythm early is crucial (post rate; how long you as DM take to respond to payer ideas); I also think that players often sign up and are charmed by the idea but are not certain whether they want to continue or if the personalities are going to clash. It might be an idea to try, to start, one module. That's a reasonable commitment and will allow you to set a pace. You'll then see who posts quickly and who doesn't, and if you can keep half of the players from that (or more?), it gives a foundation for continuing. But attrition is going to happen, and it is unlikely that the best group to play are going to be the first six people to post in a recruitment thread.

I'm under no illusions that it's especially demanding for a DM; but if you want this, it's got to be easy for players to participate and stay. So many php games fizzle either because of DM burnout (so don't set a pace you can't maintain) or because the pace slows down and players don't have an opportunity to post regularly.

These are my opinions. I hope they help.

Remove ads