• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everything I need to know, I learned from D&D

Stormonu

Legend
The "D&D is like pr0n" joke thread got me thinking about this old yarn. So, what has D&D taught you?

1) Never split the party

ourchair

First Post
I run a lot of games for newbies and veterans, geeks and non-geeks alike and run anywhere I can, and I've learned this:

Very few people are above rolling funny solid pieces of plastic and scribbling numbers onto paper. AS IF IT WERE THE MOST COMPELLING THING IN THE WORLD.

Seriously, I LOVE D&D, but there's an ironic sense of self-awareness that strikes me when I watch my players and seeing them involved in what is essentially a practical examination ("Take out your character sheets and pencils. Turn to page 12 of the player's handout. Raymz, what is the name of the guy who hired the party? Corinna, what will your character do to remedy her curse?") that has a complete lack of any bells, whistles amuses me to no end.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
D&D taught me English. Basically I had no incentive to learn it before that.

Probably did a lot for my career.

Croesus

Adventurer
Never insult the beggar - it will turn out to be a polymorphed gold/silver dragon that spends all its time teaching prideful adventurers a lesson.

Remove ads