• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Here's another more in-depth first look into Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft

Be warned though, it's basically a flip through of the book through to the end, so if you don't want spoilers it's probably best to skip this video.

It's really looking like it's a must-buy for me, the book is just chock-a-block full of inspiration and general coolness.
A big spoiler for the monsters, though it probably comes as no surprise, is that Proficiency is listed but Alignments are not listed.

JEB

Legend
A big spoiler for the monsters, though it probably comes as no surprise, is that Proficiency is listed but Alignments are not listed.
Didn't watch the whole video (because spoilers) but the above made me curious enough to check out Strahd's writeup: no alignment there either. (Possibly no statblock, either, but that could be on a page I missed.) If that's standard for NPCs in the book, looks like Candlekeep Mysteries may have been the last gasp of alignment in D&D. But I guess we'll see in a few weeks for sure.

Now I notice the werebats weren't mentioned in the bestiary. There was a weretoad as nPC in a Dungeon Magazine.

I guess Tharizdum's cult is not welcome in Ravenloft because the Dark Powers have got a different goal, but cultists could be abducted or sent to the demiplane, to cause troubles to the Dark Lords, to be destroyed by these, or with rewritten memories and then they can cast divine magic, but their summoning rituals can't work at all, but for dread elementals (blood, pyre, tomb and mist). Without direct contact with the outer deities schisms and teologic conflicts can start between the different sects. It is perfect for cosmic horror stories, only you replace aberrations with elementals.

The new Ravenloft has got some changes, but it hasn't rejected its roots. Let's say this restaurant still serves the speciality of the house, but also different dishes have been added to the menu because this is necessary for the business.

I miss the core, but the geography was too "square and boring". I mean I would add more peninsules to the coast zones. These were too much as flat lines. If there is a new "core" after a new "grand conjuction" event, I guess the geography will be according most popular domains and dark lords. Other idea is dark powers creating new domains as floating islands as bait for spelljammers what want to mine that carvorite ( = antigravity mineral used to construct skyships). Other idea is "floating" domains, sometimes appears next to the material plane as haunted places for little times. One of them is ruled by a dark lady who is like the classic villain of soap operas and romantic novels, a true toxic person. Her curse is when she loves somebody, male or woman (it hasn't to be a romantic relation, but a simple fraternal friendship), this finds the true love and goes to a far place with this.

46684323ead7bf4c36016e187fc5a0e2.png

Picture from "Haunting Ground", a forgotten survival horror videogame.

Remove ads

Remove ads