• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Evil Campaign?

I am wanting to run an evil campaign, and normally I use the Book of Vile Darkness. However now that I am on 5e, I cannot find any books like this. Is there some text I am missing here or has anyone tried an evil campaign?

-Abe

Fanaelialae

Legend
I am wanting to run an evil campaign, and normally I use the Book of Vile Darkness. However now that I am on 5e, I cannot find any books like this. Is there some text I am missing here or has anyone tried an evil campaign?

-Abe

My friend ran an underdark game with a predominantly evil party, but we homebrewed material for that. It became less evil for a while because half of the main party managed to draw the balance card from a deck of many things, which was interesting, but eventually one of them died and the other retired.

Corwin

Explorer
I am wanting to run an evil campaign, and normally I use the Book of Vile Darkness. However now that I am on 5e, I cannot find any books like this.
Not to put too blunt a point on it, but there is a perfectly serviceable sourcebook like the one you are seeking. Its called the Book of Vile Darkness. Is there a reason you can't use it with a little effort converting the crunchy parts that need attention?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
At its core, an Evil campaign isn't much different from a Good one. The PC's have goals, they want to achieve these goals, and they're willing to do things in order to succeed. In the Evil game's case, the players aren't as worried about the methods by which they achieve their goals.

What sets the Evil campaign apart is generally the 'theme'. Many Evil games are far more grimdark, having Grey and Black Morality (see TvTropes) and perhaps Good is losing the cosmic battle. It also doesn't have to be so epic; a thieves' guild/Mafia game or a Victory-At-All-Costs war campaign work just as well.

Also, the players should still be keen on working together as Evil plans work better when everyone gets along.

Also also, Evil tends to be Proactive; Good tend to be REactive.

ccs

41st lv DM
Step 1) Decide you all want to run an "Evil Campaign".
Step 2) Players write ___Evil in the alignment line of their character sheets.
Step 3) DM preps adventures as usual, maybe swapping the alignments of foes.
Step 4) Play.
Voila; Evil Campaign.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was looking more at classes then a setting. I Soul Eater, Cancer Mage, etc. Was more curious if someone made versions of the classes that fit 5e. With spells and all. -Abe

Shiroiken

Legend
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was looking more at classes then a setting. I Soul Eater, Cancer Mage, etc. Was more curious if someone made versions of the classes that fit 5e. With spells and all. -Abe
I'd suggest checking out the DMs Guild. If someone's made it, it'll probably be there.

zeldafan42

First Post
Before getting too worried about whether or not any one has converted some of the evil classes, figure out if any of your players even want to play them. If nobody wants to play a Soul Eater or Cancer Mage, then you don't really need to look them up.

When my DM wanted to run an evil game I just made a Wizard Necromancer straight out of the PHB.

machineelf

Explorer
A pure evil campaign doesn't sound fun to me, personally. I've never tried it, so I could be wrong.

Now, playing a campaign where we are all gray, or something like chaotic good or chaotic neutral, could be fun. For instance, if we have to take the law into our own hands, and do some shady things in order to deal with even greater evils, or to enrich ourselves, but we draw the line somewhere, then I'm for it.

But a truly evil campaign, to me, would be killing children and innocents just because you could (chaotoic evil), or to take over the world and rule it like a dictator (lawful evil). Not interested.

CTurbo

Explorer
A chaotic evil campaign would never work. Even a campaign with one chaotic evil character would not be much fun. I think a neutral evil or lawful evil campaign could be interesting though just because it would be different from the other 99 "good" campaigns I've played. A "smartly" played evil campaign could provide a new set of challenges. I'd love to try it.

Remove ads