• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil cleric posing as neutral or even a good cleric

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
as a side note the ranger with favored enemy undead (maxed out 14th level skills vs undead)is played by a pretty crafty player (marine) I know he will test for pulse & pupil reaction to light (etc.) people he suspects of being undead...the player had mentioned this during creation. How would you pass this test or could you?

thorncrest

QUOTE=kenobi65]Interesting that you mention Star Wars and the Sith, Sir T. Honestly, this guy reminds me of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, managing to "hide in plain sight" as a Sith Lord while leading the Senate of the Republic.

Misdirection (by magical and diplomatic means) is the key here. Have him work through flunkies. In fact, it'd seem to be in character for him to set up such flunkies as being the more obvious sources of the troubles he's causing, while he acts as the puppeteer behind the scenes.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
Sir ThornCrest said:
You know I knew that Palpatine was a bad guy first time I saw him in star wars 1. I hope I can hide this vamp lord better....(Im sure the audience was meant to suspect him).

Well, the fact that it's the same actor and character name as in Return of the Jedi was, I'm sure, a tip-off for the audience. :D

Sir ThornCrest said:
as a side note the ranger with favored enemy undead (maxed out 14th level skills vs undead)is played by a pretty crafty player (marine) I know he will test for pulse & pupil reaction to light (etc.) people he suspects of being undead...the player had mentioned this during creation. How would you pass this test or could you?

Honestly? Don't let him get that close. Don't give him a reason to even suspect that he'd need to do these tests on the "senator." If that PC has a reputation as an undead hunter, the "senator" will undoubtedly recognize that he's a major threat, and will manipulate things to make sure that he'll never have to submit to such things. Though, this can get tricky, because it's not a rule thing, it's pure role-playing and planning.

As I mentioned before, misdirection is going to be your biggest friend. Make sure that the "senator" is keeping your Undead Hunter busy with all sorts of other threats, which he can't trace back to the "senator." Heck, to pull another trick out of Palpatine's book, have the "senator" show concern about the undead depradations in the city, and *hire* the party to specifically deal with them. Who'd ever suspect their sponsor? :)

ken-ichi

First Post

thorncrest

What is to say a Vampire Lord that has fed fairly recently does not pump its "food" throught its body, thus having a pulse?
Maybe a vampire's irises react the same as a living person's?

I would allow a Knowledge: Religion at a fairly high level (because they are pretty obscure) to determine if these things could help determine if someone is a vampire or not.
A DC of around 30 would probably answer if these methods would help ID a Vampire.

These types of test could not really be done without the Vampire Lord knowing that they are up to something. The pupil test is not something I would want to do to a creature that can dominate with a gaze though :D

Eremite

Explorer
Sir ThornCrest said:
You know I knew that Palpatine was a bad guy first time I saw him in star wars 1.

Thorncrest, you really should seriously consider deleting this statement. You have already had numerous posters make snide remarks at you; this statement is only going to get you more!

Pulse: So, tell me how this marine is going to be able to hold the wrist or other appropriate spot on one of the city's most powerful politicians to check for a pulse? And even if the DM was stupid enough to allow the PC to do this, I think it would be fair to rule that the PC was now flat-footed and even susceptible to a surprise attack.

Pupil reaction: I would suggest that the vampire still has normal pupil reactions to bright light. After all, they don't exactly like light, do they? Edit: Also, if a DM was stupid enough to allow the PC to gaze right into the vampire's eyes perhaps the suitable ruling would be that the dominate gaze works automatically or there is a saving throw but with a -4 circumstance penalty (and, after he fails the save, the "crafty marine" announces that all is well).

Last edited:

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
Point being the ranger is 14th level with undead as his sole favored enemy and has dedicated his life to tracking, finding and killing undead...He's more than likely going to do something’s successful yes? Checking the pulse was just an example of what I may expect from this player, something just out side of what’s covered in any great detail by the raw.

In the campaign the party is aware of a divine prophecy saying that an evil Vamp Lord is going to seize power to some? degree and cause mass death & destruction, withen this area.

Thorncrest

Eremite said:
Thorncrest, you really should seriously consider deleting this statement. You have already had numerous posters make snide remarks at you; this statement is only going to get you more!

Pulse: So, tell me how this marine is going to be able to hold the wrist or other appropriate spot on one of the city's most powerful politicians to check for a pulse? And even if the DM was stupid enough to allow the PC to do this, I think it would be fair to rule that the PC was now flat-footed and even susceptible to a surprise attack.

Pupil reaction: I would suggest that the vampire still has normal pupil reactions to bright light. After all, they don't exactly like light, do they? Edit: Also, if a DM was stupid enough to allow the PC to gaze right into the vampire's eyes perhaps the suitable ruling would be that the dominate gaze works automatically or there is a saving throw but with a -4 circumstance penalty (and, after he fails the save, the "crafty marine" announces that all is well).

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
Only seen the movie once and that was with several kids so I saw approx 1/2 of the movie-popcorn bathroom soda bathroom bathroom..yah I'de say about half. Not familiar with that actor nor his name.

thorncrest

kenobi65 said:
Well, the fact that it's the same actor and character name as in Return of the Jedi was, I'm sure, a tip-off for the audience. :D

Honestly? Don't let him get that close. Don't give him a reason to even suspect that he'd need to do these tests on the "senator." If that PC has a reputation as an undead hunter, the "senator" will undoubtedly recognize that he's a major threat, and will manipulate things to make sure that he'll never have to submit to such things. Though, this can get tricky, because it's not a rule thing, it's pure role-playing and planning.

As I mentioned before, misdirection is going to be your biggest friend. Make sure that the "senator" is keeping your Undead Hunter busy with all sorts of other threats, which he can't trace back to the "senator." Heck, to pull another trick out of Palpatine's book, have the "senator" show concern about the undead depradations in the city, and *hire* the party to specifically deal with them. Who'd ever suspect their sponsor? :)

Elephant

First Post
Sir ThornCrest said:
I wouldnt doubt it for a second, Im sure some others are just waiting to flame.

"waiting to flame" isn't as accurate as "appalled at the degree of intelligence you're showing"

Remove ads