• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil DM Moments

Having just posted in another thread about something I did to a player in a Ravenloft campaign, I thought of this topic.

What is the most evil thing you've ever done as a DM to a player?

or in the alternative,

What is the most evil thing your DM has ever done to you as a player?

If you've experienced it both ways, please share! If you have multiple examples, that's fine too.

It may make for some fun ideas to spring upon unwary PC's in the future for those of us who are "rat bastard DMs" and for people to get a good chuckle out of.

For me you can find what I did once in this post: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/310700-oh-god-what-2.html#post5666624

Thanks in advance for playing!

Trav

was

Adventurer
most evil as DM..the master vampire was a little girl hidden among the group of missing children = TPK

most evil thing done to me..dm shrinking and paralyzing pcs, turning us into "dollies" to be dressed in different outfits by a group of little girls

Is_907

First Post
I haven't done many evil things to my players... but you might have to ask them for a different story =P

Most evil I've seen--
Right when 4th edition came out we were all giving it a try and on session three or four we finished clearing a dungeon and were about to head back to town. We were literally FIVE xp away from level 2.
We asked the DM if he'd fudge it or give us 5 XP for some odd thing we did... after all, he had thrown stuff at us all through that dungeon that was way higher CR than we should have fought!

So, he sent a boar at us. I don't know what kind of boar it was, but we barely beat it with one PC down, and the rest at less than 4 HP left. Scary stuff. ;P

Sammael

Adventurer
I TPK'd the party five minutes after their Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Also, as each round went by (usually resulting in the death of one of the resource-deprived PCs), I read them about the destinies of their former PCs, who were also dropping dead all across the globe at that very same moment.

They all had to die to fullfil a prophecy. The campaign went on for two more years, and it was all cool. But what I did there looked pretty evil at the time.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Most evil:

In a 3.5 game, Gnometown was under attack by some demons, powerful ones that could cast cloudkill, and one player decided to rally the town to stop being passive layabouts. Well, using the character's inner power, the character instead roused the entire town to attack the demons (Which would have killed about 95% of the gnomes in the world).

The players had to teleport ahead of the gnomes and had only 20 rounds to defeat the demons before the gnomes all got there and died. They succeeded and it was actualy pretty good after all.

Most evil to me:
University, freshman, just joined a new game. The DM and players had played together all last year.

First adventure (win for me) I mapped the exploration into a big dungeon so well that we could find our way out. (The DM did not want us to (he was not such a nice guy))

Second adventure (Win for him) I got poisoned and fell asleep. And I slept for three sessions. When I got pissed, the DM said I would sleep for a thousand years, but there was an antidote. The other older players, who were not so nice either, did not look for it (And I think it did not exist) I quit and started my own game. (Win for me)

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Most evil I've done was trigger a pitfall beneath the players in a dungeon. One failed his save and fell into the room below, so I drew it out for him and then slowly and methodically began filling nealy every 5-foot square of the cramped room with markers, giving no indication of what they were. They were actually nearly harmless trap-monsters that scream when you get close to call in bigger predators, but he didn't know that as I was placing them. I could see the look of panic on his face, and on the other PCs as the number of enemies around him kept rising and I showed no signs of slowing down. It was cruel of me, but pretty funny, and they didn't actually suffer too badly from it. XD

The most evil thing a DM has done to me was have our party stumble upon a Tarrasque at 3rd level, and declaring that the sound of the door opening woke it up for the first time in years. We broke off running in separate directions; two of the six us got away, and I only managed to be one of those two by tripping my own team's fighter to distract the monster. (Not very sporting of me, but that's what CN does in situations where the DM has plainly decided to slaughter the party and most of the planet along with us). He scolded us for not heeding the obvious warning signs... Which were written in a language none of the PCs in the party knew.

Last edited:

Ycore Rixle

First Post
As a DM... the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity. Runner-up was when the brownie, I think it was, tricked the players out of a ring of wishes.

Stormonu

Legend
3.5 game, I6 Ravenloft/Expedition to Ravenloft Hybrid

The characters, having been twice already assaulted by the evil Count, arrived at Castle Ravenloft to follow the sound of music to a dining room where they found what appeared to be a human Count Strahd Von Zoravich. He proceeds to tell them that he is cursed and a jeckyl-like version of him haunts the countryside, performing evil in his name. He offers to take the party (who has Ireena with them) to his upper chambers for her protection and offers his assistance in tracking down the "evil" version of himself.

Along the way to the chambers, Strahd has an aside with each of the players. Just before the party reaches the upper chambers, half the group "realizes" the other half is under the control of the "evil" Strahd.

However, it turns out that the half of the party who is actually under Strahd's control is the one who strikes first, thinking they are "protecting" the party, but instead acting on Strahd's orders (Strahd has the charmed individuals stage an attack on himself as well). Their ambush kills the party cleric, badly injures the monk and the druid, who run off with Ireene.

In truth, there was only one Strahd, and as the party was heading upstairs, he managed to charm/dominate all the characters save the Druid, Monk and Cleric (via secret saves and failed Perception checks by the PCs to notice the charms) and turned the party against itself. I'd done the dominate so subtly that had the party was totally confused who was on whom's side; both groups thought they were fighting against another side who had been dominated by Strahd.

From a RBDM's point of view, the best part was it resulted in two character deaths, one on each side of the equasion and the killers thought they were totally justified in defending themselves. It wasn't until about two sessions later that the true circumstances came to light and the party heartily banded together to hunt down Strahd for once and for all.

Remove ads