Evil Genius Games and Netflix Settle 'Rebel Moon' TTRPG Lawsuit

No game forthcoming; retailer pre-orders to be refunded.

Evil Genius Games has just sent out a 'joint statement' regarding their lawsuit against Netflix regarding the canceled Rebel Moon roleplaying game. No details about this 'amicable resolution' are divulged, other than that the game is still not going to be released.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 3.52.48 PM.png

Evil Genius sued Netflix for breach of contract after the streaming company cancelled their license to product an official Rebel Moon TTRPG citing alleged confidentiality breaches. The contract was cancelled in May 2023 after Evil Genius had completed the game design; Netflix asserted ownership of Evil Genius' work, and indicated that it would be incorporated into future cinematic and video game properties.
The following is a joint statement prepared by us and Netflix relating to the recently resolved litigation between us.

“The parties are pleased that they were able to amicably resolve this dispute. Netflix thanks Evil Genius for their hard work and professionalism.”

We will not be releasing a Rebel Moon game, but stay tuned for more amazing Cinematic Adventures and an upcoming sci-fi project. And thank you again for your amazing support!

If you are a retailer who preordered the Rebel Moon game in advance, be on the lookout for a follow-up email within the next 7-10 days on how to process your refund.

D. Todd Scott
Evil Genius Games. Inc.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
IMHO, you just answered your own question.

GRRM doesn't believe in cartoonish paragons. Snyder doesn't believe fundamentally decent people exist. Like, Snyder is one of those types of folks that thinks that Fred Rogers must have secretly been a serial killer or something.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One of the fundamental problems with Snyder is that his personal worldview is so bleak and cynical that he finds paragons and other straightforwardly heroic and likeable people to be cartoonishly unrealistic.
Let's not try to diagnose people based on their films. We don't know Snyder, or his personal worldview or tat he considers cartoonishly realistic. I think we can evaluate the work without dragging the creator's personality into it (it's not like he's done anything harmful or wrong to anybody).

Snyder doesn't believe fundamentally decent people exist. Like, Snyder is one of those types of folks that thinks that Fred Rogers must have secretly been a serial killer or something.

C'mon, really? :)

Timespike

I'm definitely being hyperbolic, but not by that much; unless my memory has completely betrayed me, Snyder has expressed some pretty breathtaking levels of cynicism about humanity in interviews (if it has betrayed me, well then I am sorry I maligned Mr. Snyder's character). He's not alone in that among popular creators, either; you could say similar things about Mark Millar or Frank Miller.

Lots of people really dig that "everyone is a bastard" style, with the massive commercial success of Snyder, Miller, and Millar's respective catalogs as evidence. I don't personally like it most of the time, but really all that means is that I have nobody but myself to blame for not having liked Rebel Moon. I should have known what I'd be getting into and given it a pass.

Last edited:

Timespike

Also: I will give Snyder unironic credit for one thing: the man does have a sense of visual style. I wish he wouldn't desaturate everything quite so far, but I can definitely admit that he can make dramatic set pieces with the best of them. And the fact that I'm about 99% sure that the club used by the lead bad guy In Rebel Moon was at least based on a human femur was a nice visual touch.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I've watched Rebel Moon and while I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people say, I take the almost universal negative comments to indicate that this isn't going to be the next big thing. Which is kind of too bad. Given that, not too surprising.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
No more lawsuit for one. And it’s settled so both sides got at least some satisfaction.
I can think of several reasons why a person would settle out of court besides satisfaction. Expressing the fact politely is a mere professional courtesy. We can find out how satisfactory the negotation was if the details are revealed; however, I suspect the terms of the agreement were themselves confidential. A common practice, but not one that inspires confidence.

I'm definitely being hyperbolic, but not by that much; unless my memory has completely betrayed me, Snyder has expressed some pretty breathtaking levels of cynicism about humanity in interviews (if it has betrayed me, well then I am sorry I maligned Mr. Snyder's character). He's not alone in that among popular creators, either; you could say similar things about Mark Millar or Frank Miller.

When the first trailers for Suckerpunch came out, I jokingly called it Frank Miller Presents: Sailor Moon.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads