• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil Genius Games bleeding personnel?

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is why assuming it was related to Blockchain/AI isn't the best assumption, because it could be that, or it could be this:

From EGG LinkedIn post:
“Meanwhile, on the back end, Evil Genius’s strategy centers around data collection and analysis. They meticulously track how customers engage with licensed products. This data then becomes a valuable asset in multiple ways.
Firstly, it allows them to offer movie studios targeted tools to garner more engagement from their super fans. Additionally, they provide advertising opportunities for these studios, utilizing the insights gained from data collected by users on their platform. Beyond advertising, the company sells aggregated engagement data, offering a deeper understanding of customer behavior and preferences. Lastly, Evil Genius conducts panels and polls specifically tailored for studios to gather direct consumer feedback, further informing future strategies and decisions.”

Or it could be neither. Truly we'll never know unless the people are able to speak about it. Everything else is speculation.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Playing D&D with a person is nothing like working for a person. There are plenty of people I know and like that I would never want to actually work for.
While true the crux wasn’t ’I played d&d with Dave and so he’s a fine dude’. It was ‘I trust Dave based on years of interactions with him’

This is why assuming it was related to Blockchain/AI isn't the best assumption, because it could be that, or it could be this:

From EGG LinkedIn post:
“Meanwhile, on the back end, Evil Genius’s strategy centers around data collection and analysis. They meticulously track how customers engage with licensed products. This data then becomes a valuable asset in multiple ways.
Firstly, it allows them to offer movie studios targeted tools to garner more engagement from their super fans. Additionally, they provide advertising opportunities for these studios, utilizing the insights gained from data collected by users on their platform. Beyond advertising, the company sells aggregated engagement data, offering a deeper understanding of customer behavior and preferences. Lastly, Evil Genius conducts panels and polls specifically tailored for studios to gather direct consumer feedback, further informing future strategies and decisions.”

Or it could be neither. Truly we'll never know unless the people are able to speak about it. Everything else is speculation.
Well those are (perhaps sadly) pretty common marketing strategies these days, but I could see folks having a problem with it.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
While true the crux wasn’t ’I played d&d with Dave and so he’s a fine dude’. It was ‘I trust Dave based on years of interactions with him’

That's . . . not that different from what I said. It is a relatively common phenomenon for someone to say: "Person X couldn't have done 'Y'. I've known them for years and they never did 'Y' to me." Hanging out socially with someone is a totally different power dynamic than being dependent on a person for your livelihood.

El_Spiko

Explorer

From EGG LinkedIn post:

I feel like this is the heart of the matter. EGG certainly hasn't made it clear to their fans and customers that data harvesting and reselling has been a part of their business model. Not being upfront to your customers that you are selling their data to license holders as part of their market research is unethical, this clearly goes beyond just tracking sales behavior on their website. This is type of service that normally involves paid focus groups or costly mass surveys, so EGG is in essence making their customers unknowing, unpaid focus groups and collecting all the money from it. That doesn't sit right with me.

El_Spiko

Explorer
Just read through EGG's privacy policy. They definitely heavily imply that they are not selling data and are only collecting what is needed for maintaining the site or for internal product development, but they don't explicitly say they won't sell data except for names/customer lists. So a LOT of doublespeak. If EGG has been selling customer data, then they have been misleading their customers about it. Not cool.

jgsugden

Legend
Playing D&D with a person is nothing like working for a person. There are plenty of people I know and like that I would never want to actually work for.
You're out of line telling me what I can and can't be confident in based upon my personal experience. You were not there and can't judge my relationship with Dave by a few sentences in a message post. I was careful about what I said, and I meant every word of it.

Further, you told me I couldn't tell whether I could work for someone based upon my social interactions ... and then told me how you can assess when you don't want to work for people you know based upon your social interactions. I acknowledge it is sometimes far easier to tell when you don't want to work with someone. For example, based upon your short sighted and uninformed statement I am pretty sure I would not want to work for you. However, I spent enough time with Dave that I feel good about saying what I did.

El_Spiko

Explorer
I mean, do we know they're giving personal customer data? Maybe it's just showing sales figures like "our Universal Soldier RPG is selling well, maybe you can reboot the franchise?"
Let's withhold judgement and harmful speculation until we get more facts, hopefully from Morrus' research.
I did not say they are selling personal customer data like names, but EGGs investors are saying that EGG has been selling demographic, audience, and engagement data as well as selling their survey responses to Studios and advertisers:

"Meanwhile, on the back end, Evil Genius’s strategy centers around data collection and analysis. They meticulously track how customers engage with licensed products. This data then becomes a valuable asset in multiple ways.

Firstly, it allows them to offer movie studios targeted tools to garner more engagement from their super fans. Additionally, they provide advertising opportunities for these studios, utilizing the insights gained from data collected by users on their platform. Beyond advertising, the company sells aggregated engagement data, offering a deeper understanding of customer behavior and preferences. Lastly, Evil Genius conducts panels and polls specifically tailored for studios to gather direct consumer feedback, further informing future strategies and decisions."

EGG shared this article, so we can assume they stand by the statements in it. Until shown otherwise we have to take them at their word that they have been harvesting and selling customer data while misleading their customers into thinking their data was only being used internally. Whether that was the ethical issue cited by the recent departures we don't know. But as it stands, it is unethical.

Remove ads