Evocation Potent Cantrip

ZenBear

Explorer
I'm curious if anyone has a problem with how this feature works. "Starting at 6th level, when a creature succeeds on a saving throw against your cantrip, the creature takes half the cantrip's damage (if any) but suffers no additional effect from the cantrip." I don't really like this feature because it forces Evokers to use saving throw cantrips if they want to play optimally and actually benefit from their 6th level feature. Thankfully this shouldn't be much of a problem in my game, as though the Wizard in my party mostly uses Firebolt, in expectation of him reaching 6th level I have given him the Create Bonfire cantrip. This way he can still be casting fire spells, preferring CB at close range to take advantage of the guaranteed damage, and FB at long range for enemies out of reach. Still, on principle a class feature that restricts your options feels poorly executed to me. Has anyone changed this, perhaps allowing missed cantrip attack rolls to still do half damage (Firebolt, for example)?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If your level 6+ Wizard is relying on cantrips you're doing something wrong.

If your 6th level wizard isn't casting a few cantrips a battle your DM is doing something wrong. 6-8 encounters a day, 3-5 rounds per encounter. That's 18-40 actions to fill a day, call in 30. 25 on the lighter side.

A 6th level wizard has 10 spell slots.

So assuming they cast absolutely no spells outside of combat, and then only on their action, they're still using cantrips more than not. If they've cast a mage armor, a shield spell or two, or maybe a utility spell, then it's probably 2/3 cantrips and 1/3 spells during combat.

At 10th level they are up to 15 spell slots. Roughly 50/50 spells and cantrips.

At 14th they've only increased to 17 spell slots. Basrely better than 10th, and more need for spells to overcome challenges in other pillars of play.

At 20th we've got a grand total of 22 spell slots. At this point if they cast a few out-of combat spells (or reaction like Shield) they might make it through a day without casting a cantrip. If it's a short day.

So yes, when a DM is running the suggested number of encounters, cantrips will be a part of your battle strategy for a long time.

As the DM, I interpreted it to include situations where your attack roll fails to hit their AC. The basic class feature of the basic wizard subclass should work with their basic form of attack.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
It is also interesting in that, at least in the core PHB, only Acid Splash (a conjuration cantrip) is the only one available to an Evocation wizard that fits the bill. I just house rule that regardless if the cantrip requires a save or attack roll, they always deal at least half damage.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Yes, the School of Evocation has problems. The only good class features that they get are Sculpt Spells, and Overchannel, Both of which are very limited.

Though I will say that you will most definitely use cantrips after level 6, unless your DM is doing something weird like using only one encounter a day.

The best cantrip to use with Potent Cantrip, is Toll the Dead. But it's not an Evocation spell, so it doesn't benefit from Empowered Evocation.

There are only three cantrips that benefit from both:
Frostbite
Lighting Lure
Thunderclap

In addition to all being Elemental Evil spells (which means an AL wizard doesn't even have these options depending on their +1), they all generally suck for various reasons.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It is also interesting in that, at least in the core. PHB, only Acid Splash (a conjuration cantrip) is the only one available to an Evocation wizard that fits the bill. I just house rule that regardless if the cantrip requires a save or attack roll, they always deal at least half damage.

I agree - doing this allows players to chose how they want to play their character, and you aren't doing both at the same time. I also do this for clerics - they get boost to weapon and cantrip. (Though if they somehow have Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, not both).

guachi

Hero
As the DM, I interpreted it to include situations where your attack roll fails to hit their AC. The basic class feature of the basic wizard subclass should work with their basic form of attack.

It should. I mean, by rule it doesn't. But it should.

I can't believe I didn't think of this with the Evocation Wizard I DMed in my last campaign. She was in junior high and it was her first time playing D&D (with her mother and sister) so it's not like she was totally into the rules. She didn't pick a save cantrip so when she hit sixth I let her trade out for one. I should have just said that firebolt did half damage.

Remove ads