Ex-WotC Employees Weigh in on the No M:tG RPG Debate

Meatboy

First Post
I'm not surprised really. If you consider how worked up people get on these boards over rules and editions and what not, just add the stress of work and petty office politics and you have recipe for disaster.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The culture at Wotc has always been rather tumultuous in the upper echelons from what I've read. NOTE: I most certainly wasn't there so take this as reckless rumor if you like, but... Personal relationships that any employee handbook would definitely say, "This is just right out," and despite wild corprorate success nobody was making any money. This sort of tale fits right in with information that I've seen before. It was pretty wild west as WotC came into its own and that has to continue to get passed along as a, "Well, this is just how things have always got done here," kind of corporate memory.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I find this all pretty interesting.
The corporate stuff is not the least bit surprising to me though. It's prevalent in a lot of bigger corporations.

Where on the timeline does the acquisition by Hasbro fit in to this?

Scorpio616

First Post
I wonder if it has improved now?
Doubt it. There is a good reason the guy who writes Dilbert will NEVER run out of material.
It's none of my business, of course,
But some Hasbro shares and it can be!
but it's still an interesting case study in leadership or the lack thereof.
Agreed.

gatto-pop-corn.png

Raith5

Adventurer
I love the bit where Dancey differentiates the brands by saying: "D&D is the game where you and your friends kick the asses of monsters. Magic is the game where you kick your friends' asses with monsters".

I love the bit where Dancey differentiates the brands by saying: "D&D is the game where you and your friends kick the asses of monsters. Magic is the game where you kick your friends' asses with monsters".

That bit is great. The mechanics are different, therefore they can never be used together!
Star Wars is about the movie going experience which takes place in the dark. Comics, Books, RPGs all require reading which needs a light. Therefore, Star Wars could never work in those mediums.

Remove ads