Exactly how important is it to start the game with a +3 ability score modifier?

With so many options and different ways to play, no, I don’t think a +3 is needed at first level. Heck, I've never sat down at a table in AL and thought "Gee, that character is clearly underperforming as result of their build choices."

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Agree with those who say it's not a big deal -- my current favorite character is a half-orc wizard with a higher Strength than Int, neither of which provide him with a +3 bonus. He's an Abjuration school wizard, so he doesn't cast many spells that require a save, but it's always a shock to DMs I haven't played with before when they get a kobold or something behind the front line and my character just takes a two-handed swing with his quarterstaff and drops it. I'm not actually sure what I'll do when he finally hits 4th level -- I don't see many feats I'm all that interested in, so I might just split the stat bump between Strength (getting him to 16) and something else.

I almost never build variant humans anymore -- a point-buy array of 15, 13, 12, 11, 11, 11 results in a standard human with a bonus in every stat, and you can still get a +3 in your prime stat if you really want it.** If I ever decide to build an experimental 'character with one level in every class', this is how I'll start it.

** - Or you can put it in Con. Con is really the most important stat in combat-heavy games, regardless of class.

--
Pauper

Remove ads