• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Exalted/ Psionics related): One Man's lonely quest for waging Peace - any tips?

xenoflare

First Post
Hi guys,

i'm playing Lian Wuhai, an Exalted Monk/ Wilder/ Lucid Cenobite (mindscapes prestige class) in a friend's high-level game (Lvl 15+). I have recently attained the Saint template for my character, and part of his duties are to defend the world against the forces of the Dark Plea. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Dark Plea, it is a very vile and powerful malign psychic force that exists in the multiverse under many names and in many guises - it gains strength from fear, violence, wanton destruction etc. It's kinda like the Dark Side of the Force. And it's going to invade the world soon.

The problem is, few people believe my character's doomday threats. It's a magic-intensive campaign setting, a homebrew loosely based on Magic the Gathering's Dominaria, the Forgotten Realms, and Oerth. The movers and shakers are usually magic-users (the planeswalkers, on the other hand, have psions among them). My warnings of becoming slave to "bad feelings" are snorted at by barbarians, fighters, rogues and other practical folk - after all, rage gives strength and endurance beyond normal limits, fear and intimidation grants one power over others.

I feel a bit like a one-man army; how should i go ahead with fighting this war against an invisible, intangible force that controls and influences nearly everything in the multiverse? Logically speaking, i should start by making sure that i don't power this force with yet more "bad mojo", right? And then teaching, guiding others to steer power away from it into themselves should work too?

In terms of combat and practical reasons - i don't want lives to be lost (i have the Vow of Poverty feat). so i am thinking of gathering huge amounts of Quintessence, to spread this timeless goo over a secret subterrenean base so that the base is placed in stasis. This base contains thousands of Astral Constructs and Impresas (level 5 mindscape power that makes a much weaker copy of a character that lasts for one day) - i don't know when the invasion would come, and when it does come, i don't want lives to be lost or dark emotions to boil forth in the conflict. Hence i'll create soldiers of dream and pure ideal to remain vigilant in the timeless fortress until they are needed.

I also have access to good diplomacy and sense motive skills, and the following powers: Psionic Charm, Mass Missive (potentially send a message of 25 words to everyone within 800+ feet), and Correspond (long distance trunk calls - the sending spell on crack). My Saint template grants me Tongues that's always on; with these, I wish to become a negotiator and broker peaceful alliances and dissuade warlords from their ways of violence, to become enlightened beings. How do you suggest i gain political clout and some measure of influence to fight the good fight? What factors should i examine, in my quest to wage peace?

Thanks in advance!

Yours Sincerely,
shao

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
This is more of a bump, because I think it's an interesting topic.

My only question right now is what is the correlation between a vow of poverty and not wanting lives to be lost?

Anabstercorian

First Post
Mass Missive, thrown up once or twice, could probably let you make a diplomacy check as a full round action with a -10 penalty. That's useful.

Against those who only respect force, you can prove the power of peace by defeating them in single combat without causing any damage by disarming/sundering/psionicing them.

xenoflare

First Post
Dinkeldog said:
This is more of a bump, because I think it's an interesting topic.

My only question right now is what is the correlation between a vow of poverty and not wanting lives to be lost?

Thanks for the bump, Dinkeldog..

oops, my bad! it's vow of peace, not vow of poverty!

xenoflare

First Post
Anabstercorian said:
Mass Missive, thrown up once or twice, could probably let you make a diplomacy check as a full round action with a -10 penalty. That's useful.

Against those who only respect force, you can prove the power of peace by defeating them in single combat without causing any damage by disarming/sundering/psionicing them.

mass missive rocks - i was thinking of that too, my DM says however that diplomacy required you to look into the guy's eyes and adjust body posture etc. if not i'll have to take hefty penalties. i'm thinking though that the ability to speak directly to one's mind in whatever language he is most conversant and proficient in should give me some bonuses as well.. whaddya think?

i'm also thinking that Correspond would do a bit of good here - long-term rehab and befriending of people. The power of the media haha!

i'm a bit worried bout fights because i'm afraid that i'll make things "not fun" for my fellow players - my Aura of Peace usually knocks out bad guys with poor will saves, and my Diplomacy and Charm will sorta do mini-atonements on them. it hasn't really been a problem yet, but in what way do you think the quest for peace and the traditional DnD virtues of slaughtering monsters and looting their dungeons can find a compromise?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I think the best thing you could do is to take leadership... several times, if possible. Start a bardic academy or something similar to get followers with high charismas. Then send these messengers of peace throughout the world, doing good and preaching your message against the Dark Plea. Have your cohort run the academy for you so that you can still adventure.

If you require each of these people to develop their own followers as soon as they can, and encourage them to network and spread the word, you'll have both an excellent spy/early warning system and the start of your own faction. Heck, you may be able to change the world like this.

The real advantage of this is that your group can continue to have fun while all of your machiniations occur in the background. You stay in touch with your cohort to give guidance, and this doesn't have to consume a lot of gametime unless a plot centers on it.

Last edited:

xenoflare

First Post
Piratecat said:
I think the best thing you could do is to take leadership... several times, if possible. Start a bardic academy or something similar to get followers with high charismas. Then send these messengers of peace throughout the world, doing good and preaching your message against the Dark Plea. Have your cohort run the academy for you so that you can still adventure.

If you require each of these people to develop their own followers as soon as they can, and encourage them to network and spread the word, you'll have both an excellent spy/early warning system and the start of your own faction. Heck, you may be able to change the world like this.

The real advantage of this is that your group can continue to have fun while all of your machiniations occur in the background. You stay in touch with your cohort to give guidance, and this doesn't have to consume a lot of gametime unless a plot centers on it.

Hmm.. that's a great idea! Thanks! Sounds a lot like Peace Corps work to me :p

If i remember properly, P-kitty, TomTom in your game set up a psychic academy of sorts to train mind-reading spymasters. How long did it take him to build this institution, and did he have any help or sponsorship from outside sources?

xenoflare

First Post
Annulus

hey guys,

i've got a new idea. Do you think the Annulus could be used to destroy a psychic force like the Dark Plea? What do you think of possible evil Rat Bastard Dungeon Master things a DM could do with that, the possible fall-out, repercussions, feasibility?

Thanks in advance!

Yours,
shao

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
xenoflare said:
If i remember properly, P-kitty, TomTom in your game set up a psychic academy of sorts to train mind-reading spymasters. How long did it take him to build this institution, and did he have any help or sponsorship from outside sources?

We mostly just handwaved it; it was back in 2e, and there weren't great guidelines for this. He established it just about the time that the group started substantial traveling, so it never got to feature in a major plotline. He had the sponsorship of the king in creating it, though -- and you can be sure that there were some major secret controls in place so that the secret police didn't abuse their power.

A more immediate example for me was Nolin's bardic academy. He used his high level, massive charisma and good reputation to create the same sort of organization that I described above. It provides the group and the government with excellent contacts and intelligence about neighboring countries.

Last edited:

Remove ads