• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Example Rivals (Xanathar's Guide)

Denalz

Explorer
I really loved reading through the example rivals listed on page 124-125 of Xanathar's Guide. I only wish there were more than two. Anyone know of any links to similar examples? Or does anyone have a few of their own they would like to share?

Luz

Explorer
While I can't say I've used or made npcs with the sole intent that they be rivals to the PCs, I've had just that sort of thing happen in my games through play. As an example, I had a high priest of St. Curhbert (lawful good) who subscribed to the "Old Testament" ways of the priesthood. He believed in harsh punishment or executions for minor wrongs (severing a thief's hands, regular flagellation of his disciples, etc.) which eventually caught the party's attention during downtime and sought healing, support, etc. It was an interesting dynamic for the players as they struggled with this priest's iron fist approach but who also provided them with much needed help for stamping out evil. It eventually came to a head later and the party killed him, then were branded as murderers.

EDIT: sometimes the story writes itself!

Denalz

Explorer
While I can't say I've used or made npcs with the sole intent that they be rivals to the PCs, I've had just that sort of thing happen in my games through play. As an example, I had a high priest of St. Curhbert (lawful good) who subscribed to the "Old Testament" ways of the priesthood. He believed in harsh punishment or executions for minor wrongs (severing a thief's hands, regular flagellation of his disciples, etc.) which eventually caught the party's attention during downtime and sought healing, support, etc. It was an interesting dynamic for the players as they struggled with this priest's iron fist approach but who also provided them with much needed help for stamping out evil. It eventually came to a head later and the party killed him, then were branded as murderers.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing.

Herosmith14

First Post

Yeah, that kind of happened at my table too. The guy was an honorable Orog working for BBEG, and the party confronted him. He challenged paladin to a one on one duel, and then Warlock shot him in the back with Witchbolt. I had fun with Revenants later, and the year isn't up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads