• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Example Star System (PEACH)

djdurant

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Huh. Found some of my old Traveller planets lying around :) And yeah, sometimes presentation can make a big difference. Click on the planet image and maps for better views.

System stats done with aforementioned program I wrote:
Forboldn
Knorbes
Ruie
Uakye
(These where early CSS experiments for me. Best viewed in IE.)

You may want to do some more research. The gravity you give for every planet is wrong.

Gravity for a planet expressed in Earth gravities is Density*(Planet Diameter/Earth Diameter)

Additionally, the mass you give for each is incorrect as well based on the diameter and density numbers you use...
CurrentPlanet.Mass = CurrentPlanet.Density * ((CurrentPlanet.Diameter / EarthDiameter) ^ 3)

Mass = Density In gcc * ((Planet Diameter / Earth Diameter)^3)

So. Good effort on your part, but some basis in math and science should be used...

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
Frukathka said:
Wow. Cool images too! What program did you use to generate the planetary view?
Thanks. The planets were created with LunarCell, a nifty plugin for Photoshop. The map view... umm... I forgot the program for that. The planets-and-nebula background image was generated with POV-Ray, a neat free-ware ray-tracing program.

Aussiegamer said:
The problem with using earth masses or AU is that means that earth exists in your campiagn. And not everyone wants that.
Assume the astronomers in the setting have taken measurements of 100 specific star systems in their neck of the galaxy, and are using that as their standard. An SP ("Standard Planet") is the average of the diameters, masses, densities and gravities of all the planets in these systems which lie within the bio-zone. An SP just happens to be equal to Earth, for player's reference, if not character's. An AU (Astronomical Unit) is vague name enough that it could be assumed to be the average orbital distance of those same planets, and again, just happens to be equal to Earth's distance from our sun.

djdurant said:
You may want to do some more research. The gravity you give for every planet is wrong.

Gravity for a planet expressed in Earth gravities is Density*(Planet Diameter/Earth Diameter)

Additionally, the mass you give for each is incorrect as well based on the diameter and density numbers you use...
CurrentPlanet.Mass = CurrentPlanet.Density * ((CurrentPlanet.Diameter / EarthDiameter) ^ 3)

Mass = Density In gcc * ((Planet Diameter / Earth Diameter)^3)

So. Good effort on your part, but some basis in math and science should be used...
Errr... those are the formulas used to arrive at the planets' gravity and masses. The final numbers may not be exact if you use what's shown on the screen, but certainly close enough for game play. I chalk it up to rounding errors - the program was working with much more precise values for all the variables. Here's a comparison using the formulas you mention and the values documented on the web pages:

Code:
[B]Planet	    Diam     Density   Grav     Grav     Mass    Mass
           (miles)    (g/cc)  (Calc)   (Doc)    (Calc)	(Doc)	[/B]
Earth	    7926       5.5     1        1        1	 1
Forboldn    8080       5.6     1.04     1.03     1.08	 1.07
Knorbes     7955       6.3     1.15     1.13     1.16	 1.14
Ruie        7457       5.1     0.87     0.87     0.77	 0.77
Uakye       3667       5.8     0.49     0.48     0.1	 0.1
Only a hundredth or two off in most cases, and right on the money for Ruie. Like I said, close enough for game play. Also, I could have had all the values out to five or more places, but it just wouldn't look as nice ;)

JRR_Talking

First Post
Aussiegamer said:
The problem with using earth masses or AU is that means that earth exists in your campiagn. And not everyone wants that.

True but u need some point of reference

all the units we used are derived from some apsect of earths physics (days, minutes, grammes, inches etc)

dont think u need to build physical parameters for an rpg from scratch?

John
aka TheNovaLord.

Psion

Adventurer
JRR_Talking said:
all the units we used are derived from some apsect of earths physics (days, minutes, grammes, inches etc)

Yep.

Not to mention that most games have terms written with understandable English terms.

I simply assume that where a game is based on a different culture/universe, the game makes reasonable translations for me.

Arkhandus

First Post
To the OP: The utter lack of spacing, the repetitive and undistinguishable names, and the long strings of highly scientific data that I can't begin to fathom due to not being an astronomer myself, all make my eyes bleed. :uhoh: That might be something you want to remedy in the future.

Aussiegamer

First Post
JRR_Talking said:
True but u need some point of reference

dont think u need to build physical parameters for an rpg from scratch?

John
aka TheNovaLord.

Maybe some new RPG terminilogy should be made up, basically a name change keeping nthe basic principles I suppose.

It gets all too confusing when you change day time from 24 to something else any way :heh:

Aussiegamer

First Post
After speaking to the designer.

This is the RAW data, and thats all. Its not the final look.

So comment on the data and not the layout maybe might be helpful

Sir Brennen

Legend
Aussiegamer said:
Maybe some new RPG terminilogy should be made up, basically a name change keeping nthe basic principles I suppose.
See my suggestion above for using a "Standard Planet" as a subsitute for comparisons to Earth gravity and mass. An AU could be assumed to be a like-wise agreed upon standard which is unrelated to Earth in the campaign.

Remove ads