• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exceptions, flavor text and rules interaction: Icy Terrain/Flight/Cold Resistance

Stormtower

First Post
I haven't been able to piece together a full and correct RAW ruling on this yet, largely because I'm an Amazon orphan and haven't perused all the books, so I'm throwing it to the collective rules knowledge of ENWorld.

From the Game Day scenario "Against the White Dragon" on the Hailstorm Tower. Party is getting beaten down by the flying dragon's breath, when the wizard decides to bring it to the ground with Icy Terrain (Wizard 1 Encounter). On a hit, this creates a zone of difficult terrain in a 2x2 area and causes the target to fall prone. So how does this work?

First, we dig into the DMG and discover that flying creatures crash when made to fall prone. Okay, no problem so far. Then, I checked the power description of Icy Terrain and noted no exceptions for flying creatures or aerial "terrain." Only in the flavor text does it mention casting the spell "creat[ing] a treacherous patch of ice on the ground." Therefore I interpreted the power to be able to be used on flying creatures, knocking them prone and to the ground (crashing) if it hits, and leaving a 2x2 square plane of "difficult aerial terrain" at the elevation of the flying target at the time the spell was cast.

Then I bring up another question. Icy Terrain is a spell with the Cold keyword. And the white dragon has Resist Cold 15... so the spell can't really do HP damage to the dragon. However, when I looked up Resistances I could find no rules exception which stated that creatures who reduce damage from an attack to 0 from resistances are also unaffected by the spell's other effects. Therefore, I concluded that the spell would do no damage, but WOULD still knock the dragon prone/crashed if it hit.

The wizard rolled, hit, the dragon crashed, and the party beat it senseless and took its stuff. Good times! But this question lingers about resistances: has anyone else found any indication that reducing damage inflicted by a power to 0 also cancels its other effects on the target? Also, do others feel my interpretations of the spell's effect(s) on flying creatures and "aerial terrain" are correct or incorrect?

djdaidouji

First Post
White Dragons have Ice Walk, but that doesn't affect the hit. So the dragon would not take damage, but would fall prone. However, the terrain is not difficult to it, but it would be to your allies, which gives the dragon a bit of an edge. (Though the difficult terrain ends with a minor action...)

I'd say that this is about right. Yes, the dragon is used to the ice, but one uses Icy Tomb against the other, it is still trapped in the ice. If a player has an amulet of fire resistance 100, it can still drown in magma.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Everyone has to make a call as they see fit.

Personally, it seems to me that the purpose of "Icy Terrain" is that it makes an icy patch of ground which is slippery. I wouldn't have allowed it to be cast up in the air to make 'icy swirly winds' or something similar.

Cheers

Stormtower

First Post
davethegame said:
Stormtower- that scenario sounds pretty familiar! Were you the DM for one of the Game Day sessions at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie?

Yep, that was me. You guys were the only group all day who got to run the White Dragon scenario. I ran the Shadowhaunt module twice more later in the day. Which of the pregens were you playing? If you will recall, I mentioned at the end of the scenario that I'd see what the boards might have to say about my ruling at the time.

Plane Sailing, I agree with your assessment that each DM must make his or her own call, and truthfully I'm not sure if I'd make the same ruling again... though I like your embellishment of "swirling winds" in the sky rather than a plane of ice.

Anyone want to weigh in on Resistances negating secondary effects of powers?

davethegame

Explorer
Stormtower said:
Yep, that was me. You guys were the only group all day who got to run the White Dragon scenario. I ran the Shadowhaunt module twice more later in the day. Which of the pregens were you playing? If you will recall, I mentioned at the end of the scenario that I'd see what the boards might have to say about my ruling at the time.

Kelric, Human Fighter. I sat to your right. For some reason, when you said you were going to post on the boards, I didn't assume it would be ENWorld.

I'll stop derailing your thread now :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads