• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: Archons (merged)

Lacyon

First Post
Wolv0rine said:
This is all just too much for me. Angels AND Archons are now nothing more than glorified elementals. Someone was on too much valium to be imaginative about arch-typical creatures one day at work or something, I don't know. They're friggin' celestial beings, not uber-elementals, dammit. This is just... just... I'm too fresh from sleep to come up with any word but... stupid. This approach to the might celestial beings of glory is stupid. Would have worked really nicely for advanced elementals, though.

Um, they weren't explicit about this, but I'm pretty sure Archons aren't Angels in 4E.

Does that help?

Voss

First Post
No, he's saying that aside from the fluff that the gods hired the angels and the primordials made the archons, they're essentially the same thing- elemental soldiers, and thats a let down from, well, any concept of angel that has ever been.

Scribble

First Post
Voss said:
No, he's saying that aside from the fluff that the gods hired the angels and the primordials made the archons, they're essentially the same thing- elemental soldiers, and thats a let down from, well, any concept of angel that has ever been.

In what sense?

Voss

First Post
A divine manifestation of a god's will isn't some faceless mook with wings that stabs you with lightning. Its more a matter of raining down brimstone on all your family, friends, and, in fact, your entire home town because you muttered a blasphemy under your breath in the temple.

Scribble

First Post
Voss said:
A divine manifestation of a god's will isn't some faceless mook with wings that stabs you with lightning. Its more a matter of raining down brimstone on all your family, friends, and, in fact, your entire home town because you muttered a blasphemy under your breath in the temple.

According to? Your religion? Your imagination? Science?

LostInTheMists

First Post
Hrm. Just noticed this bit of fluff from the Rimehammer's Lore area:

Rimehammer Lore said:
DC 25: These archons are usually found in the service of frost giants, ice archon frostshapers, and similar creatures.

Frost Giants? I thought they didn't make the cut to the 4e Monster Manual. Did they make it in, or have we been given a monster for which we can't actually play out the situation presented in its write-up?

Duelpersonality

First Post
LostInTheMists said:
Frost Giants? I thought they didn't make the cut to the 4e Monster Manual. Did they make it in, or have we been given a monster for which we can't actually play out the situation presented in its write-up?

Well, even if frost giants aren't in the MM1, they will likely be in a later MM. Which would you prefer: (1) the way they handled it here, by just including it in the lore section of ice archons, or (2) adding a note to the frost giant entry in whatever book they come out in to add this tidbit to the ice archon lore section?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Duelpersonality said:
Well, even if frost giants aren't in the MM1, they will likely be in a later MM. Which would you prefer: (1) the way they handled it here, by just including it in the lore section of ice archons, or (2) adding a note to the frost giant entry in whatever book they come out in to add this tidbit to the ice archon lore section?

For the laziest DMs among us (i.e., me), I imagine that having Fire Giants deal Cold damage will pretty much take the place of Frost Giants.

If for some reason that doesn't work at all, I'll pick and choose appropriate Cold-based abilities from various monsters.

Wormwood

Adventurer
GoodKingJayIII said:
For the laziest DMs among us (i.e., me), I imagine that having Fire Giants deal Cold damage will pretty much take the place of Frost Giants.

If for some reason that doesn't work at all, I'll pick and choose appropriate Cold-based abilities from various monsters.
This right frakkin' here.

The MM is looking to be a big ol' list of powers and bits for me to use on my own monsters.

Remove ads