Excerpt, Manual of the Planes: Types of Planes

justanobody

Banned
Banned
The "map" reminds me of Bleach anime and the way the "worlds" connect in it.

I was hoping to see a bit more imagery of what the Astral see itself looked like, but ti seems like a constellation map. Maybe that is what the Astral sea is.

Not really much to go on about it all yet, but I agree the "unstable" rituals seem a bit funny, but don't seem they would be needed that often.

I just want to know where the diamonds come from and if they can be mined.

yesnomu

First Post
The "map" reminds me of Bleach anime and the way the "worlds" connect in it.

I was hoping to see a bit more imagery of what the Astral see itself looked like, but ti seems like a constellation map. Maybe that is what the Astral sea is.

Not really much to go on about it all yet, but I agree the "unstable" rituals seem a bit funny, but don't seem they would be needed that often.

I just want to know where the diamonds come from and if they can be mined.
Astral Diamonds are shards of divinity. They're mined from the massive corpses of dead gods, found deep within the Astral Sea. The githyanki have the largest mining clans, and closely guard the locations of the richest deific masses.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Astral Diamonds are shards of divinity. They're mined from the massive corpses of dead gods, found deep within the Astral Sea. The githyanki have the largest mining clans, and closely guard the locations of the richest deific masses.

I don't recall seeing that in the PHB, so where can I find that at?

By deep you mean in the furthest reaches, or like depth in a real sea?

This is what I have been waiting for on the planes. I already somehow missed the info in another book? :eek:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I don't recall seeing that in the PHB, so where can I find that at?

By deep you mean in the furthest reaches, or like depth in a real sea?

This is what I have been waiting for on the planes. I already somehow missed the info in another book? :eek:

DMG page 124.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
:( I only have the PHB and didn't read the whole DMG. Thanks for the info so next game I can look at that and terrorize the DM with want of mining/harvesting Astral Diamonds. :]

Do you know why I bought the core rulebooks as PDFs? It's so I can search them to answer questions online. (I also have hardcopies of all the books...)

It's a really silly reason to buy the pdfs, but it's something I've found really useful. :)

Cheers!

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Do you know why I bought the core rulebooks as PDFs? It's so I can search them to answer questions online. (I also have hardcopies of all the books...)

It's a really silly reason to buy the pdfs, but it's something I've found really useful. :)

Cheers!

Hey it works, but since all the magic items are finally in the PHB, who'da thunk a player would need something from the DMG. :eek:

Guess it helps when you need a page number for something too. Search the PDF and then turn to that page in the book. :)

That is until they update the PDFs with errata. Then you will be one of those few who give the new version a review won't ya?

We now return you to your planes discussion as the Alter Area is now fading early due to unforeseen circumstances.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So far, so good. I'm a huge PS fan, but I've come to terms with the 4e cosmology as good as the Great Wheel 'cuz both are "only a model." I'd miss the yugoloths in a PS-specific setting (just like I'd miss modrons), but I don't miss them yet as a part of D&D as a whole. I don't mind Limbo becoming the Elemental Chaos and ditching the Elemental Planes....in fact, I've come to assume Shadowfell = Negative Energy Plane and Feywild = Positive Energy Plane in most respects, and I'm finding I like it just fine. ;)

I do kind of miss the Ethereal Plane, but meh...not enough to care too much. ;)

If they deliver on the fluff in the MotP, I'll be a pretty happy camper. Extra points if the fluff actually influences the crunch (OH GOD PLEASE?!). Between this and the Draconomicon, DMing 4e might not be quite as big of a burden as I was afraid it was (though I still hate the amount of prep time I need with a burning passion).

Scribble

First Post
I think that Influence Unstable Plane was meant to be a skill, likely a skill that no class gets on their skill list, but a skill that can be used and has mostly untrained uses.

That's how I took it as well... Anyone can try it, but pretty much no one is trained in the ability. (Though some might eventually get some sort of racial bonus, or a feat that gives you a bonus.)

Rituals are just a way to geta bonus to do it. (probably a sigificant bonus)

JustKim

First Post
Very interesting. I wonder how the Planescape fans will feel about Sigil being a demi-plane, and it's relationship with the other planes.
It's different in theory, in practice it should not be a problem. I'm guessing the "demiplane" designator is useful for powers or rituals or planar rules that Sigil will fall under. As far as the nature of a demiplane, Sigil is completely isolated by the Concordant Oposition, which nullifies all magic as one approaches the Spire. Although Sigil is physically present atop the Spire, it's an infinite distance away and so it cannot be reached. This naturally led to a lot of wild speculation on what would happen if you did reach Sigil from the outside, including the interior and nature of Sigil's "ring", that is, in a place where every enclosed space can be a doorway to somewhere, where does the hollow between all of Sigil lead? This question is the only real loss, in my mind, of the original Sigil versus Sigil as a demiplane. And even so, canon frequently trod over these kind of questions, such as presenting Sigil's catacombs in such a way that you could actually emerge outside of Sigil. The setting bible for Planescape was essentially "Make everything sound unsubstantiated, then write off any inconsistancies as narrator error."

I'm looking forward to the book, as a Planescape fan and a reader of interesting things.

Remove ads