• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: skill challenges

Derren

Hero
Propheous_D said:
Case in fact. The Duke all ways hears about his exploits in war, and in the court. However, from listening to him you get a sense that these mean nothing to him. He is a humanitarian and you can tell he walks among his people not just for show. You now know to look for something simple that he personally did in history that you can bring to light and spin in your favor. Perhaps it was as simple as rebuilding a church, or as innocent as sparing the life of the maiden Julliane from the blade of one of his gaurds. Something you would have completely missed or brushed past if you didn't have that inside info.

Except that this isn't something you can find out through a diplomacy check. That would require a knowledge local (or however this is called) check, some background research (I know, too much Shadowrun...) or at least a Insight check.
Also this information is very situational and most of the time this topic won't come up unless the PCs follow a script.

AllisterH

First Post
Needless to say, I'm going to be going through this chapter first and foremost when I get my books...

Some questions I have...Is there a time limit to how many actual rolls you can do? How freeform does the skill challenge allow for (a.k.a not using actual primary skills or using magic)?

All in all, I'm liking the potential and I wish the article was beefier, but then again, that's the point of an excerpt is it not? To whet your appetite for more...

re: History

Um, how did people use the History skill in 3.5? I'm seeing WAY different interpretations a la Intimidate...did every group use the non-combat skills in entirerly different manners?

Lacyon

First Post
Derren said:
Except that this isn't something you can find out through a diplomacy check. That would require a knowledge local (or however this is called) check, some background research (I know, too much Shadowrun...) or at least a Insight check.
Also this information is very situational and most of the time this topic won't come up unless the PCs follow a script.

Yes. You can change the "unlocking" skill based on circumstance. Feature.

Derren said:
And what would the question be in this case?
When you try to gain support of a lord and you are well versed in history you are of course trying to find out about the past exploits of the lord and either you know them (successful roll/history challenge) or you don't (failed roll/challenge).

sorry, you missed the point:

THIS is a different chellenge... its called research before you meet with the Duke. Trying to find out past exploits of the lord when you stand in front of him seems rather inappropriate....

edit... maybe you didn´t miss the point, but blatantly ignored it in this post...

Last edited:

Propheous_D

First Post
Derren said:

Were does it say that Derren?

Diplomacy is a skill you use to get something done. During your diplomatic overtures you discover something. This is why I called it an easter egg. You are taking the rules in a VERY narrow context and not using them for what they are supposed to be used for.

This skill challenge says that if a character interacts with the Duke in some diplomatic way they will learn something that will lead them to discover how to approach the duke about his past, and may even discover something about his past.

Example:
Player: I use my diplomacy on the Duke to tell him he can trust us. "insert random rp".
DM: I don't trust very easy and I am not sure about you. I can't put my finger on it but I will give you a chance.
Player: I roll history to see if the Duke has something in his past with people like us.
DM: You remember hearing a tale from the Dukes youth about someone who betrayed the Duke. That person was Eldarin like you, but from the southern provinces which we all know about the southern provinces.
Player: Surely you can not fault all Eldarin for the mistakes of a certain group of rabble we deal with. I can't tell you how many times I have heard about those southern country bumpkins leaving a path of deception in their wake. I am from Northern Eldarin from the town of Berkshire were we are renowned for our good nature.
Duke: Hmm perhaps your right, I should be a little more understanding I have a cousin who is the same way, and he is a prince *insert chuckle*

Insight in this case won't reveal that one tidbit because you wouldn't have thought the Duke would distrust you at face value until you engaged him in that manner. You could argue that other skills may have accomplished the same thing, but in reality its up the DM how he hooks in his easter eggs.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It's important to note that this is only one of 2 methods mentioned (so far) for handling non-combat challenges in 4e. The other is structure-free. I.e. the players play and the DM adjudicates.. Both are supposedly in this chapter.

malraux

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
But why would you scale this out of proportion? Let's say we will have a complexity 22 skill challenge. That makes it 46 successes before 23 failures.

No one is wants to play that. It will take ages and add nothing a complexity 3 encounter wouldn't.
Um, no. If its exponential, then a complexity 22 skill challenge would be 4,194,304 successes before 2,097,152. Even a complexity 4 (so 16 successes before 8 failures) seems excessive. And since I have a hard time imagining a resolution of only 3 options (well possibly 4 if there's a 0 complexity challenge, which would be a straight skill check), I'm guessing that my formula is wrong, and that there's just a chart somewhere.

Propheous_D,

this is the point where giving good arguments doesn´t bring this conversation any further...the points you make are well thought, backed up with good examples and IMHO very convincing...

...but its not in the D&D PHB 3.5, so it must be wrong...

sorry... :(

Derren said:
Why? Because thats what the history skill is for? Its needless railroading which takes away this particular possibility which is bad enough.
This is like arguing that a pit fiend's fire resistance is railroading, because it means you can't use fire spells to defeat it. Fire spells are for killing things, so if I can't use them for that in any one particular situation, the DM is a railroader.

Propheous_D

First Post
UngeheuerLich said:
Propheous_D,

this is the point where giving good arguments doesn´t bring this conversation any further...the points you make are well thought, backed up with good examples and IMHO very convincing...

...but its not in the D&D PHB 3.5, so it must be wrong...

sorry... :(

*chuckles* Thanks

I look at in two ways. I am not worried about convincing grognards, long beards, or 3.X slider rule fanatics that I am right. I figure some of these examples I might not have thought off, and heck even one person sees a good idea then bam I win. :)

Remove ads