• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: Swarms

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
One genre staple that seems to be missing is the opportunity to use a torch to fend off swarms (whether insects or snakes - go Indy!). Perhaps anyone with a torch could use "Attack vs Will" in order to prevent the swarm approaching close enough to 'aura' them.
Hmm... Your right Plane Sailing, we do need something like this. We got the *insect on shoulder and you swipe it away and realize there is 20 more on you* with the "save ends" for ongoing damage. But we do need the torch...

Hmm... I wonder if torches themselves like some weapons could have some "powers", so:

Power (at-will): Minor. Swarm Attack does not work until the end of your next turn.

FadedC

First Post
So if I understand right....

The drake swarm moves up to the wizard, trips him and hits him for 14.5 damage on average. Then on the wizard's turn before he can take an action he gets hit for 14.5 again (and probably goes down if he is level 1-2). Meanwhile everyone else is taking damage pulses and hitting it for half damage.

Seems a bit overly powerful for a lvl 2 creature. 5 of them seem like they would TPK an equal level party.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Rechan said:
So... what sorts of things fight WITH a swarm? What will a swarm fight with, rather than attack?

I have had an absolutely terrifying epiphany. A veritable vision of viciousness, if you will. I cannot wait to run this encounter.

The first thing you hear are the heavy footfalls. Something big is lumbering towards you, and it sounds like stone against the stone floor of the crypt. The cobwebs shift as gradually, the stone golem comes into view; a towering, solid creature completely of stone. And covering its surface like a carpet, a host of winged insects. As the scent of your warm flesh reaches their nostrils, they beat their wings and begin to fly...

Gargazon

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Hmm... Your right Plane Sailing, we do need something like this. We got the *insect on shoulder and you swipe it away and realize there is 20 more on you* with the "save ends" for ongoing damage. But we do need the torch...

Hmm... I wonder if torches themselves like some weapons could have some "powers", so:

Power (at-will): Minor. Swarm Attack does not work until the end of your next turn.

I believe this was left out as you can have intelligent swarms and fire-resistant swarms, both of which I imagine would laugh at a torch.

frankthedm

First Post
Stirge swarm

stirgeswarmli0.png

DeusExMachina

First Post
FadedC said:
So if I understand right....

The drake swarm moves up to the wizard, trips him and hits him for 14.5 damage on average. Then on the wizard's turn before he can take an action he gets hit for 14.5 again (and probably goes down if he is level 1-2). Meanwhile everyone else is taking damage pulses and hitting it for half damage.

Seems a bit overly powerful for a lvl 2 creature. 5 of them seem like they would TPK an equal level party.

It might be powerful, but realize that even against a 2nd level wizard it is unlikely that the trip and the 2 attacks will hit. Also with 38 hitpoints and vulnerability to close and area attacks, these guys will go down fast when attacked by the right kind of attack...
All in all I agree that they seem a bit nastier than your average goblin though...

fnwc

Explorer
Zelc said:
And I think the ongoing damage 5 from the stirge attack stacks... So, how bout ongoing that damage 15, hope you save and remove a few before it hits you three times again? :D

Ongoing damage of the same type isn't added together, only the higher number applies.

That being said, you might be right as the stirge ongoing damage is untyped, even though it's implied physical damage.

Remove ads