• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: You and Your Magic Items

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Article said:
There’s no restriction on using or acquiring items based on their level, except that you can’t use the Enchant Magic Item ritual (page 304 of the Player's Handbook) to create an item above your level. If, for some reason, your 10th-level character finds a 20th-level magic sword, you can use it to full effect..

Are we taking this to mean the ring level restriction is gone? I didn't see any mention of it otherwise, and it would be weird if it were left out.

Thaumaturge.

Aria Silverhands

First Post
Thasmodious said:
Nice, I like this. I always houseruled the crap out of identifying items anyway.
That is beyond lame. Fighters who've never had magical training whatsoever shouldn't be able to identify magical poop, let alone the properties and effects of a magical item. Sure, they can feel the balance of a sword is better and that it fits their hand perfectly, but anything beyond that should require a person trained in arcane knowledge.

Rechan

Adventurer
A'koss said:
In addition, each character can only activate a few different magic item powers in a given day, so the guy who brings a loaded pack full of flashy items doesn’t get as much bang for his buck.
Now that is nice.

Boarstorm

First Post
Aria Silverhands said:
That is beyond lame. Fighters who've never had magical training whatsoever shouldn't be able to identify magical poop, let alone the properties and effects of a magical item. Sure, they can feel the balance of a sword is better and that it fits their hand perfectly, but anything beyond that should require a person trained in arcane knowledge.

I dunno, the fact that it bursts into flame every time they swing it should be a pretty decent clue.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I like that, the magical weapons are almost like Weapon Templates. Since for example, the Holy Avenger isn't just say a longsword it can be a: Axe, Hammer, Heavy Blade.

This way of doing magic weapons could really cut down on the amount of magic weapons in the books while still having same number of options.

Sir_Darien

First Post
On the other hand, if you prefer to wield a larger array of lower-powered magic items, that’s OK too… with some caveats. Most items are tied to body slots, so there’s a built-in limit to the sheer quantity of items most characters can easily tote around. In addition, each character can only activate a few different magic item powers in a given day, so the guy who brings a loaded pack full of flashy items doesn’t get as much bang for his buck. Again, your class powers should be the main focus of your character, not the precious little trinkets you swiped from cave-dwelling fiends.

I'm not a real big fan of this. If you want to use cool items that aren't really powerful the fact that your limited to how much you use kind of sucks. If I'm a level 20 rogue who wants to swing rooftop to rooftop with a rod of ropes, I should be able to do it regardless of my use of a flaming dagger. This seems like a fun-buster, though its difficult to say how bad of one with how vague the subject was left.

Otherwise I'm in favor of the 4e item changes, thank god I can stop buying rings of protection, cloaks of resistance's, and amulets of health for every character.

Oh I am a happy DM, no more + items for me (as promised by WotC) just add it to the PC stats:) just flaming swords and frosty axes and stuff ....yeha a low-ish magic but high cinematic game :)
Can't wait for 6th

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads