• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exclusive Class Skill Feat?

Janos Antero

First Post
Ok all you d20 gurus, anyone know of a feat that lets you make an exclusive skill a class skill?

Specifically I have a priest I want to take Use Magic Device with, so I'm looking for a feat or a domain that might allow it. Not a PrC or a cross class combination.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You can find them in the Netbook of Feats or some 3rd party products, but I don't recommend them. They throw PrC prerequisites off more than the cross-class -> class feats.

-Hyp.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I second that. They're exclusive skills because they're exclusive. There should be no way to gain them except to enter those classes!

Spatzimaus

First Post
Although, a good number of PrCs provide these "exclusive" skills as well. Loremasters, for example, get Use Magic Device IIRC.

But overall, I'll agree: letting people raise "exclusive" skills, even at cross-class prices, isn't a good idea.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I don't think there are any feats that do this.

I know I've seen a non-core Magic Domain, whose granted power is to make Use Magic Device a class skill. IIRC it was somewhere on the net, not a published book, but I'm not at all sure about that.

jeffwik

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
Although, a good number of PrCs provide these "exclusive" skills as well. Loremasters, for example, get Use Magic Device IIRC.

But overall, I'll agree: letting people raise "exclusive" skills, even at cross-class prices, isn't a good idea.

Really? What difference does it make if a fighter can learn to read lips? I've never understood the reasoning behind forbidding it.

Frankly, I don't much like cross-class skills either. If I'm a fighter and I get two skill points per level, why shouldn't I be able to put them into any skill I want at normal prices? I don't see it threatening the rogue's niche -- the rogue, after all, gets 8+ skill points per level and will still always outclass the fighter in terms of skills.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I like cross-class and exclusive skills. If you're focusing on being a fighter, it's more work (hence more skill points) to learn better Spotting. But better spotting is a part of rangering, hence it's not as hard to get better at it in the course of training/experience.

As for the actual question, I don't think there is a Core way, but I also don't think there's a need. A cleric with the Magic domain can use magic items as if he were both a cleric and a wizard. That's pretty much every magic item in the game, with a fairly easy caster-level check on some of them. :)

Janos Antero

First Post
The cleric in question actually found and wanted to use a Holy Sword, hence asking for him here. Generally speaking I agree, exclusive should be exclusive, but it's still nice to have the option should it ever come up.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
jeffwik said:
Frankly, I don't much like cross-class skills either. If I'm a fighter and I get two skill points per level, why shouldn't I be able to put them into any skill I want at normal prices? I don't see it threatening the rogue's niche -- the rogue, after all, gets 8+ skill points per level and will still always outclass the fighter in terms of skills.

Yea! And I don't see why a rogue can't have full HD BAB, either, If he wants to fight much, why should I give him only 3/4 HD BAB? I don't see it threatening the fighter's niche -- the fighter, after all, gets lots of bonus feats and will still always outclass the rogue in terms of fighting.

Sounds wrong, yes? It is, as is the Idea of letting Fighters be equally good at, say, sneaking than rogues. He won't outclass the rogue, but he will be as good as him in some skills, and at the same time have a better to hit chance.

Dimwhit

Explorer
The closest thing to core is from Kingdom of Kalamar, published by Kenzer (though supposedly an 'official' D&D campaign setting).

Anyway, the feat is Skill Prodigy. Take a number of exclusive skill equal to your INT modifier and make them cross-class. Or cross-class skills and make them class skills. Nothing, however, to go straight from exclusive to class skill.

Anyway, that more-or-less accomplished what you want, if your DM allows KoK.

Remove ads