• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Exclusive D&D Next Campaign available at Gen Con Only

Pour

First Post
Guys, guys, with a little patience I'm sure you could find it on EBay the next week for $120 or so. The miniature of the paladin Istavel might be extra, though. Also, three cheers for Chris Perkins being one of the authors. If there is going to be a good adventure in there, I trust him to deliver. Curious who the other authors are...

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I understand them not wanting to scoop themselves by pre-releasing that content now. But we do need to keep working on the other classes that won't be included.

Progress on the game shouldn't just stop because WotC wants to give the 0.1% of their fanbase that can attend GenCon a super perk.
Who says it's stopping? They're redesigning feats, skills, races, classes, levels, monsters, combat, exploration, and interaction. Basically, rebuilding the entire game. That'll probably take more than three months.
FWIW, I've never seen a product branded with its "working title" ever. Have a feeling "Next" might end up being more than a working title.
From Twitter:

paulbaalham: will the product have the words D&D Next on it?
mikemearls: This book does, but that is not the planned title for the actual release.

Last edited:

Phototoxin

Explorer
Hate to sound like an internet hater but we have no clue what iteration of the rules they'll have (and I personally don't like any of the rules aside from some ideas that I need to modify and steal - namely 'advantage/disadvantage' for **SOME** things)

I don't like the idea of exclusivity - that said it will probably hit the intertubes pretty soon after.
I also am not keen on the mini, not that it's a bad mini but they have a distinctive style/astethic (and the 'matching' sets are very expensive for what they are!) so am just a bit ... underwhelmed.

It might be 5E bias but I'm just not that excited about it.. Also means time for me to start buying 4E products that will be oop soon. (Can't find darksun ANYWHERE!)

Warbringer

Explorer
paulbaalham: will the product have the words D&D Next on it?
mikemearls: This book does, but that is not the planned title for the actual release.

Point is they are putting a new release product into a mass market (GenCon) positioning this as the new edition, and yes, people will resonate the new edition even more strongly "Next".

They certainly can call it anything they want after that, but the first paid for product is bein branded as "Next", like it or not.

Kaodi

Hero
I like the art style. The composition, not so much.

The edifice they are on looks amazing. The castle is nothing special though. Mace-guy, archer-gal, sorceress, look great. Dagger-lass and staff-guy are okay. Sword-dude looks pretty weird with that thick bodied armour. All of the posing is pretty terrible though. Staff-guy in particular looks really awkward. Pennants should probably not be longer than their staff poles...

Who says it's stopping? They're redesigning feats, skills, races, classes, levels, monsters, combat, exploration, and interaction. Basically, rebuilding the entire game. That'll probably take more than three months.
They're rebalancing feats and just tweaking a lot of the other elements and have been for the last two-three months. It shouldn't take that long and it still needs mass playtesting for balancing purposes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads