• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exclusive interview WotC President Greg Leeds

Dumnbunny

Explorer
I think it more likely that an RPG company can match the WoW model for digital distribution.
The difficulty there is that what an MMORPG such as WoW sells for $14.95 a month is constantly dynamic content. WotC's content is almost completely static. There may be errata, additional articles, etc, but the content is essentially static.

If Wizards offers their electronic book versions on, say, a web service that you have to log into to use, or perhaps a specialized reader you have to download and install, whatever content they serve will be quickly stripped out, dumped into a PDF, and the dance will continue.

mkb152

Explorer
Sigh...

While I am not happy about not being able to buy older edition PDFs at the moment, I understand where WOTC is coming from on this. I suppose I'll have to spend more money on eBay for this stuff. The good news is I had already downloaded or bought a hard copy of most of the GH / Planescape stuff (which is what I most wanted).

That being said, knowing very little information about this, I could have drafted a more informative interview and/or press release. In fact, this is about what I expected. The 10 to 1 is the only information I or anyone else couldn't have predicted.

I am not a WOTC basher, and I support their products (but I support them less than Paizo's). But even WOTC fanboys are starting to wake up to the fact that their PR is horrible. Seriously, it would be funny, but it's too bad to be funny. They have pretty much made every big mistake in the book in the past 2 years; in fact, they have created a few new ones. You think that maybe they would have learned something from the 3E character creator debacle, but maybe noone is left from that era.

It's like someone in marketing read Wikinomics and thought "We NEED to enter the digital age or die" but didn't do the necessary homework on how to do it right. And you're telling me that NOW they realize that PDFs are pirated? Are they stuck in some 1998 time warp?

I'll believe that their will be newly distributed digital content once my WOTC virtual tabletop game has been going strong for a few years.

Don't get me wrong, I think their products (minus the USELESS character sheets) are pretty good. But seriously, hire someone to teach you PR, please...

merelycompetent

First Post
Well,

We now have a little bit more information. Most of it is expected, but it does confirm some thoughts others have already posted about.

* There will be no more legal PDF downloads.
* The revocation of PDF availability is part of a larger company strategy.
* Much of the interview is what we (collectively, the gaming community, and IMO) would term "management speak" or "corporate speak". I do not want this taken as a criticism of WotC - quite the opposite. It is the sort of response that a very litigous U.S.A. has forced, IMO. I would be very surprised if any response we see were not sanitized and made legally, and PR (towards the stockholders) clean.

I am hesitant to make predictions based on the information available to me so far. I certainly don't have any insider knowledge. But I can't help but come to some preliminary conclusions, now that I see the pieces beginning for form a picture. I expect we will generally see the following (and yes, if you posted one of these in another thread, and now see it here, I probably read it. I apologize - I'm too tired to search out attributions adequately):

1) 4E book digital versions will become available only through DDI. I expect this will happen within the next 3-6 months, at the earliest. If this comes to pass, the digital versions will probably start out as available only through an active connection (you must have Internet access and be logged in to get it), with possible offline access (and restrictions) available later. (The Steam Theory.)

2) Older editions will not get the digital treatment until basic economics improve - they're too expensive to convert and bring in too little money. Plus, there would have to be a certain level of demand/acceptance of the new format to overcome - and right now the customer reaction is rather loudly upset. Upset customers don't buy older edition products. I would honestly be surprised if we see any of them before 4th quarter.

3) I expect that the overall strategy is this: Make the game easier and simpler, to draw in new customers. Make it more amenable to play with miniatures. Both of those make the game easier to virtualize (convert to a digital tabletop). This is attractive because it allows the market to tap into/expand into other gaming markets - especially MMORPGs - while still retaining the uniqueness of playing with live people and a live DM. This is difficult to implement on a sufficiently profitable scale, IMO, because of the number of big steps to go through. But I think making the gaming table into a virtual table is where the game will go... and I think WotC sees that as a great opportunity to increase the primary customer base, generate recurring income via monthly subscriptions, and attract lapsed gamers - who want to play with their group but can't because Real Life (tm) has forced too much distance - back into spending money.

So far, WotC's offerings in this arena have been lacking. But from a business technical standpoint, 3E (and 3.5E) was way too complicated a system for virtualization. 4E pushes it the other way, and introduces some really cool ideas as well. If there is no virtual tabletop for 4E, then there will be one for 5E.

I'm too tired to analyze further tonight.

The above theories are vulnerable to a great number of variables:
* Further layoffs at WotC will cause delays as domain knowledge is lost within the company.
* Additional hires will cause moderate delays as domain knowledge is gained/transferred within the company.
* Further general economic hardship can easily reduce the company's income, and force the delay of the expenditures necessary for any of the above. The reverse (economic boom causing the money to be spent sooner for faster results) is also possible.
* The imagination and creativity of the people working at WotC - they can easily come up with a radical idea that none of us have thought of that would make my speculations moot.
* Effectively out-sourcing or contracting the work required to hungry, talented outsiders.
* WotC planning all of this out, very thoroughly and accurately, starting at least at the middle of last year. I think this community tends to forget just how talented and smart the folks at WotC are.
* WotC getting caught completely off-guard by the negative customer (especially DM) reaction and/or current world-wide economic recession. Even geniuses make mistakes :)
* Changes in technology - even seemingly small ones - can alter the playing field completely.
* The push to more Internet-play may strangle the essential "juice", the attractiveness of D&D as an RPG, out of the game.

Please note that I'm not trying to bash WotC; ANY edition of the game (I think they're all cool - I just don't like playing parts of them); or sing the glories of either. I'm very disappointed with the decisions that WotC has made so far, and sadly now have no reason to spend my money on their products. This may change in either direction. Nor do I want anyone to use my speculation and theories to attack WotC: The smart people in that company have access to information that we do not, and we probably never will -- barring a unique event, such as the implosion of TSR. That doesn't mean that I won't come back to these forums to sing their genius praises... or curse their short-sightedness in the future. :)

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
The difficulty there is that what an MMORPG such as WoW sells for $14.95 a month is constantly dynamic content. WotC's content is almost completely static. There may be errata, additional articles, etc, but the content is essentially static.

Good points. So it's not feasible for WotC to simply make their content available as subscription, they need to add a dynamic aspect to it, to keep people interested in the offering on a broader scale.

I think they are already dipping their toe in the water with the rules compendium. More so with that than with the character generator, since that is run locally with periodical updates piped down to the client.

The rules compendium is online and always fresh, which I have found to be really convenient, and one of the best things about the DDI.

/M

funkytable

First Post
The loss of a new customer

I am not someone who's played RPGs for years on end, I've been a customer since January. Not joking, I'm that new. I have no loyalty to DND that allows me to turn a blind eye to business decisions from WotC. I have made every purchase from WotC through PDF's. I have no interest in the DND insider or the Hardcover books.

Therefore, I am no longer a customer of WotC.

I don't understand how losing one of your newest customers who was having a blast with your products is good business sense. I'm so ticked I might leave my gaming group. What's the point if in 3 months they will have a ton of materials I don't have? Why didn't you at least continue business as usual until an alternative ebook program was available?

I will not be your customer until you offer digital copies of what you offer in books on a pay-per-book basis. I will never subscribe to a monthly subscription that will disappear when I have finished, and I will never buy books to take up space in my house.

Let me know when you offer digital books again. Until then, you've lost my dollars.

Not a threat, a fact.

Last edited:

funkytable

First Post
Are you in some kind of competition in your group who's gonna have the most books?

lol

No, I was looking forward to the Divine Power book so I can give my Paladin some much needed better powers. They've got Arcane power and the physical one, I forget what it's called, and soon they'll have MM2.

So it's annoying that I won't have access to those materials. It's a PBP group too, so it's not like they could just let me look at their copy.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Well, I remember a lot of talk about the evil of the OGL, the d20STL and WotC wanting to dominate the industry, steal all the good ideas they didn't have any talent themselves to develop and drive every other publisher out of business.

Around 2000 or so, if I remember correctly. These days, people look back on those times and fondly remember how awesome almost everything was. But in hindsight, it is easy to forget the vehement criticism that WotC had to withstand at the launch of 3e and related initiatives.

Sure, they get a lot of flack now as well, but it's difficult for me to weigh the amount against each other. It feels harsher now, but then again, it was pretty darn harsh back in them days as well.

/M

I sure don't remember those sorts of criticisms back in 2000. Then again, I wasn't on the internet much back then. I vaguely remember some worries about merging Magic and D&D, but that's about it. Certainly, nothing like that of today. They really did a good job of making a better edition of D&D, and they pretty much saved the game. Of course, their horrible decisions and even worse PR these past few years have used up that goodwill and then some.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I am not someone who's played RPGs for years on end, I've been a customer since January. Not joking, I'm that new. I have no loyalty to DND that allows me to turn a blind eye to business decisions from WotC. I have made every purchase from WotC through PDF's. I have no interest in the DND insider or the Hardcover books.

Therefore, I am no longer a customer of WotC.

I don't understand how losing one of your newest customers who was having a blast with your products is good business sense. I'm so ticked I might leave my gaming group. What's the point if in 3 months they will have a ton of materials I don't have? Why didn't you at least continue business as usual until an alternative ebook program was available?

I will not be your customer until you offer digital copies of what you offer in books on a pay-per-book basis. I will never subscribe to a monthly subscription that will disappear when I have finished, and I will never buy books to take up space in my house.

Let me know when you offer digital books again. Until then, you've lost my dollars.

Not a threat, a fact.

Please don't quit your gaming group.

You still have the books you already bought, and in the end, that's really all you need.

I understand your anger at WotC. I feel the same. I understand and mirror your decision to boycott WotC (whether chosen or thrust upon you).

Just please, do not give up the Hobby because of WotC. WotC may be punishing you and the rest of their customers, but please don't punish yourself because of them.

Don't give up the fun you've had, and the enjoyment of sharing it with a like minded group.

WotC isn't worth it.:)

edit:

To WotC:

This is a perfect example of the foolishness of your decisions. You have put a new customer, one of the very customers that 4E was designed to draw in, in the position of either no longer playing or pirating.

Brilliant!

Last edited:

Remove ads