• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exexcrucication - a NOBILIS PbP

khaibit2763

First Post
How dark are we taking this?

I was thinking about the power of cutting, and there are some pretty unpleasant associations with that word

sophist

First Post
on an open forum, we can't have too much splatter ... you can have a dark character, as long as you don't turn traitor in the Valde Bellum. A problem could be if the others decide to play really pure guys and don't want much player conflict. OTOH, if the examples in the book the power of betrayal (which) has pretty unpleasant associations, too, could work with more "nice" siblings celestis.

I am sure we can explore some darker connotations without indulging in evil and corruption,
but i don't see cutting as that bad, so I don't see a problem here: because I don't require being only good and pure. I think nobilis is a mature game, so while we need to keep in mind being in "public", unpleasantness within certain limits is no problem.

My concept doesn't depend on the players good or evil, but to retain a certain interest in preserving creation, which in my opinion even the Dark has, because humanity doesn't equal creation as such.

Corinthi

First Post
Would the Power of Mystery be to cliche? I was considering the Power of Question, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around his domain. The Power of Quests is another possibility, as is The Power of the Forgotten. Diadora's writeup didn't give me a firm feeling of the sort of Power's she'd have. Although the Power of Wounds has a certain charm to it. Could be taken very dark, or very light depending on the spin.

Hardest part of Nobilis for me is to settle on a concept.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Corinthi said:
Hardest part of Nobilis for me is to settle on a concept.
Yeah, I can relate. I'm deciding between the power of Chivalry and the power of Space. Or something else entirely. This is my first character, though.

Corinthi

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Yeah, I can relate. I'm deciding between the power of Chivalry and the power of Space. Or something else entirely. This is my first character, though.

Chivalry would be easier for me to visualize. Space is actually such a broad concept that it's hard for me to envision just how the Domain affects the Power. Since you're considering Chivalry, I'll scrap the Quests idea, and that could almost be a Secondary Domain of Chivalry. Plus I wasn't too invested in Quests anyway.

I'm actually leaning toward the Power of the Forgotten. Seems to mesh well with Diadora's writeup, and it's a domain that would be very easy to use, plus give some interesting potential conflicts with the Excrucicans. A concept that's Excruciated is not just forgotten, it never was, however it could be argued that excruciation is just a small step up from forgetting. If noone remembers does it really matter that it existed?

sophist

First Post
I found that if you go and try out in your head how you could react to a variety of situations with yout realm, you get a better grasp of what it might entail. But that's only using the advice of Ianthe in the Book itself. One fascinating feature of Nobilis is that it rewards rereading the articles about play, much like it is rewarding to study aphoristic philosophy over and over.

More down to earth :) , I think you don't need to worry too much in the beginning. I think it is best to start off somewhere and keep things changable at first. That was part of the reason I would include some prelude play before we get to stranger and wonderous stories.

The main difficulty, IMO, is finding a definition of domain that is neither too narrow or too wide. Maybe my training in literary criticism has made me overly sensitive here, but you don't need to worry. I view Nobilis still as a game, so interpretation and precision must take a back seat to fun, drama, and (to the extend I succeed at it) poetics.

Corinthi

First Post
I'm running with the Duke of Forgetfulness. Do you want Character Creation in this thread with finished products in the Rogue's Gallery or all creation in the gallery?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Corinthi said:
Chivalry would be easier for me to visualize. Space is actually such a broad concept that it's hard for me to envision just how the Domain affects the Power. Since you're considering Chivalry, I'll scrap the Quests idea, and that could almost be a Secondary Domain of Chivalry. Plus I wasn't too invested in Quests anyway.

I'm actually leaning toward the Power of the Forgotten. Seems to mesh well with Diadora's writeup, and it's a domain that would be very easy to use, plus give some interesting potential conflicts with the Excrucicans. A concept that's Excruciated is not just forgotten, it never was, however it could be argued that excruciation is just a small step up from forgetting. If noone remembers does it really matter that it existed?
Which power is that for again? :p

Yeah, Space is a broad concept, but I was thinking of not having a high ability there, so I'd narrow it quite a bit. Like, it'd be more physical space, really. Like I might be able to make someone's trip last a very long time or go pretty quickly. If someone threw a baseball at me, it could only go halfway. Or something. A power of Chivalry would be bigger in Realm or Aspect or something, which is very doable, but I'm not sure how it'd turn out.

Corinthi

First Post
Well, I'm likely going to be something like a:

Aspect: 1
Domain: 3
Realm: 1
Spirit: 3

With a minor gift and some fitting restrictions. A bit of Aspect or Realm wouldn't hurt. I'd weight one or the other heavily. If you go Realm, maybe include enough points to harvest a few Miracle points to help stave off the Fading aspect a bit. We're going to need to be proactive and a bit aggressive because of Fading, so Aspect isn't a bad area of expertise. Lord knows Flower rights tend to tick people off.

Remove ads