• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exotic mount bulette; RAW Possible?

Kylas

Explorer
So im building an encounter for my game group 10 players ECL12.

I want to do something a little different. Im thinking of having them ambushed by a group of bulette riders. I know there are certain sections in the book that mention exotic mounts, and when you look at certain MM it mentions some creatures can be trained as exotic mounts.

Now What I wanted to know is if there are any rules for making any 4 legged creature a mount. Particularly the Bulette.

I know they're huge size so if there are restrictions for mounts that are too big im not sure what they would be. That's not too much of a problem cause i would either increase rider size or decrease mount size. Also Im building a custom exotic saddle that allows rider to stand while mounted as the bulette stays just under the surface and also adjusts with the bulette when it burrows. Is this too much of a stretch for RAW? Will I have to do alot of custom and houseruled abilities/tecniques?

Also I know cavalier and lance combo is a good mounted fighter but what about mounted archery. I was also looking at nets and spiked chains as secondry weapons.

Are there paticular feats i should look for to maximize charging and riding e.g. power attack, shock trooper, mounted combat, and one that allows you to use AC as power attack.

And are there any feats that I shoud think about for my bulette.

Also I rarely look at magical items and as a DM I tend to give the players what they want within reason but are there any magic lances armours that would help?

And lastly as a side note, to unseat a mounted combatant would that be a trip attack against rider?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Awesome idea! I don't have anything to add other than a picture it made me think of:
dune6.jpg

Kylas

Explorer
Sweet pic. Hmm sand dunes would probably be the best enviorment. But I wanted some trees to topple and rocks to sink away so im probably doing it in a plains/forest enviorment. Well see!!

Shin Okada

Explorer
Bulette is magical beast with INT 2 and Handle Animal skill can be used to train non-animals with Int 1-2 (with +5 DC). Though MM entry of bulette does not have specific entry for training, it is well within DM's judgement. And as long as you count Bulletes' CR when determining EL and XP, it is fair IMHO.

Simply putting someone with high Ride skill and Mounted Combat feat will make Bullet stronger. Goblin is good for this purpose as they have racial bonus to Ride skill checks.

Regarding exotic saddle. If it protects the rider when Bullete burrows, it can be a special magic item. It is hard to determine the cost of such special magic item but not necessarily expensive, as the usage is very limited. In Arms and Equipment Guide, there were special magic item and equipments which allow to "ride" within Purple Worm's mouth, or even within Gelatinous Cube.

Regarding Lance attacks. Be careful about the reach of Lance and the Mount. Unless the farthest reach the rider can attack and the reach of the mount is the same, you cant let both rider and mount attack when charging. So, small or medium-sized rider with reach weapon will be ideal. Because huge bulette has reach of 2.

And I am not sure if this tactics is good for bulette riders. When burrowing, a creature can't charge nor run. So, if you want to let them ambush under the surface, they cannot charge in the surprise round.

Onto tripping. Yes, read PHB P.159 "Tripping a Mounted Opponent" entry. As the rider "shares" the same space as the mount, if PCs can make melee attacks against the Bulette, they can attempt tripping the rider. But special saddle will help the riders keeping on the mount.

Ashtagon

Adventurer
You could probably train it to have a rider.

You could probably add magical protections to cover the possible lack of air in a tunnel, and the inevitable buffeting from earth and rock.

But a bulette's tunnel (indeed, any burrowing creature's) is essentially form-fitting. A bulette will not naturally create a tunnel that can accommodate both itself and a rider. At the very least, such a trick would be a trick as described under the animal handling skill.

Notmousse

First Post
These guys have it covered, but I'd like to add that at this point you'll want the riders to be pretty buff themselves. Any other way and you're just handing your party kick ass mounts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads