• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expanded Intimidation Skill

Water Bob

Adventurer
On page 54 of Hyboria's Fiercest you will find an expanded rule for the Intimidation skill. You'll also see shorter version of the rule in the Shadizar boxed set. I've got some thoughts on this expanded rule that I'd like to open up for discussion.

My Point of View

I want to keep Intimidate as a CHA based skill because I think CHA best describes a character's ability to present his personality in different ways. If you get in someone's face, smile savagely at them, and thump them in the chest with your finger, that's one way of expressing your force of personality.

If you are looking to intimidate someone by just the way you look, you're not going to slump at the shoulders, drop your axe to the ground with just your finger tips on the end of its haft, pick your nose, and then look at your finger to see what you've discovered there, all the while humming a tune you heard last night in the brothel.

What you're going to do is take a meanacing pose, hold your weapon at the ready, stare into the eyes of your enemy and be deadly silent. This again is a social expression, and in this game, social expressions are covered using the CHA stat.

Intimidation Without High Charisma

OTOH, I do see Vincent's point when he writes in Fiercest that a Barbarian can often be quite intimidating even though he might have a low CHA score.

So...how to rectify the two?

Vincent's rule was to separate the Intimidate skill so that it is really six related skills, each based on a different stat. If you used your skill points to buy Intimidate (Bully), your intimidation is based on your STR, and this type of intimiation is what I described above where you get into someone's face and thump them in the chest.

If someone slaps you as hard as they can with their war club, and you take the blow easily, smiling at them in return, Vincent would have this as a use of the Intimidate (Frighten), based on CON.

I think Vincent has an outstanding point in that the mechanics of the game don't support the reasonable expectation that a Barbarian can be quite intimidating even if his CHA is low.

Skills Should Remain Broad-Use

What I don't like about Vincent's approach, though, is that he has weakend the Intimidate skill, narrowing the use of it accoriding to the type of intimidation, when the original skill included all uses of intimidation. For example, if you've got Intimidate (Bully), and you swing your weapons around in a flashy pattern attempting to intimidate your enemy with your mastery of your weapon, under Vincent's rules you'd be using Intimidate (Overawe), which is based on DEX. And, thus, any skill points you put into Intimidate (Bully) wouldn't be appropriate for the type of intimidation you are trying.

I think skills should be broad-based. Skill points are limited, and too many skills in the game have already set the precedent that skills should remain broad based. Profession (Hunter) covers a lot of different areas. Survival is used for it's logical uses plus tracking, and maybe even hunting or primitive weapon making under certain circumstances. Even a skill that may seem specific, like Craft (Weaponsmith), has a ton of uses from crating weapons, valuing them, repairing them, to making the weapon crafter some silver coins for a weeks work.

Those few skills that are very specific in use seem to be ignored by players. How many of your characters use the Perform skill? Probably not many. Skill points are too rare. And, if it's a skill like Peform (Pict Mating Ritual Dance), chances are that your Pict PC that is on the hunt for a mate doesn't have the skill.

So, that's my argument against Vincent's expansion of the Intimidate rule found in Fiercest (and a similar, shorter version in the Shadizar boxed set). I think it reduces the power of the skill and makes it too focussed.

My Approach To the Intimidate Skill

OK, so what do we do about it? I want to incorporate Vincent's thought, which I think is a good one, that some characters are very intimidating even though they may have lower CHA stats. But, I also want to keep the skill broad and based on CHA since, in the end, the act of being intimidating is measured by how good you are at expressing yourself that way. That's a social expression, and it should be a CHA based skill.

My solution is to use the Intimate skill as it is presented in the core rulebook, but then use circumstance modifiers when appropriate.

Keep it simple.

So, if a players says...

Player: I get right in the barkeep's face, stand over him, almost touching him, cross my arms, and smile.

That's earned the character an Intimidate check. The GM considers the presences, look, height, and STR and CON scores of the PC and compares it to the same attributes of the barkeep NPC. If appropriate, the GM gives the player a +2 circumstance modifier.

Boom. We're done. Barbarians with low CHA can still be intimidating this way. There's no big rule change. STR and CON and other stats are considered. And the Intimidate skill is not weakened by dividing it into six different, specific uses.

Thoughts?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
There is a feat in pathfinder that i know of: Intimidating prowess. It uses strength to add to the Intimidation check.

Water Bob

Adventurer
There is a feat in pathfinder that i know of: Intimidating prowess. It uses strength to add to the Intimidation check.

Interesting. Thanks for your input.

This makes me think: In addition to my solution above, how about adding six Feats to the list of choices?

Intimidating Prowess allows the character to add his STR mod to his Intimidation check. The type of intimidation is restricted to a character using his bulk to "get into someone's face" in an attempt to get them to cower down or comply with the character's demand.

Example: A towering, bulking barbarian stands over a shorter barkeep, thumping the poor man in the chest, his other hand on the hilt of his sword, all the while demanding free drinks for the house.

Overawing Demonstration allows the character to add his DEX mod to his Intimidation check, but the intimidation has to be centered around the character's display of prowess with his weapon.

Example: A Shemite stands in the classic attack stance, his eyes locked onto his enemy, all the while swinging his tulwar in intricate patterns around his body.

Frightening Resolve allows the character to add his CON mod to his Intimidation check, but the intimidation must come after the character survives a nasty blow delivered by the enemy.

Example: Your enemy just knocked you with a hit that did 25 points of damage. You saved your Massive Damage check, and the GM describes how you took the blow, shook it off, and your front left tooth fell out of your head. Then you stare down your enemy and smile, as if to ask silently, "Is that all you got?"

Terrorizing Moment allows the character to add his INT mod to his Intimidation check, but the intimidation has to be based around you telling your enemy what to expect after he loses the fight with you--how much pain he's going to suffer, and what you're going to do to him while he's lying on the ground with his life's blood draining out of him.

Example: You do just as I describe. When you make the check, you make your opponent aware of the terrible things that are about to happen to him.

Admonishing Attack allows the charactger to add his WIS mod to his Intimiadtion check, but the intimidation has to be centered around the character admonishing and embarrasing his enemy in front of a crowd. Works best when the target knows the crowd. Close friends are better than family members. Family members are better than fellow villagers. Fellow villagers are better than unknown people. Unknown people are better than enemies.

Example: You tell a priest in front of the faithful that he realy doesn't want to not let you in to sleep for the night, getting out of the rain and cold, because his people won't still see him as the pious person he pretends to be.

Coercion allows the character to double his CHA mod when using it on his Intimidation check, but the check has to be centered around verbal insults and deep, biting remarks.

Exmaple: I'm sure you can think of a thousand ways to implement this feat.

What do you guys think of that?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Your wisdom based feat sounds like it should for the charisma based of the skill, and nothing to do with wisdom

with the other 4 (excluded strength base of course) souds like they may be situational modifiers, but not worthy of an actual feat.

Rhun

First Post

In my 3E games, I often allow STR to be added to Intimidate in certain situations. And I don't require a feat for doing it. For example, if your 7 foot barbarian picks someone up by the neck with one hand and is shaking him in the air, I'd allow them to use STR as the stat modifier instead of charisma.

kitcik

Adventurer
This makes me think: In addition to my solution above, how about adding six Feats to the list of choices?

What about making them skill tricks instead of feats? These would be weak feats, but great skill tricks. Basically, as a skill trick you could use another attribute in place of Cha for Intimidate checks (one skill trick per attribute). This would also prevent you from adding ALL of your attributes to Intimidate, which would likel be broken.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
What about making them skill tricks instead of feats? These would be weak feats, but great skill tricks. Basically, as a skill trick you could use another attribute in place of Cha for Intimidate checks (one skill trick per attribute). This would also prevent you from adding ALL of your attributes to Intimidate, which would likel be broken.

Just make it a single skill trick instead of six, allowing you to substitute an attribute of your choice for Cha on Intimidate. If there's just one skill trick, you can't stack it by definition because it can only be taken once, and it doesn't pollute the feat space with a skill trick version of the "two million different +2/+2 skill feats" problem.

PoorHobo

First Post
Were I ever to GM again, I'd just make it level based. The differences between a level 1 character and a level 20 character are so great that there are no real world analogies, save for Chuck Norris jokes, only those jokes are real.

Any type of intimidate system where a level 1 barbarian with 4 skill ranks in intimidate is scarier than a level 20 barbarian with no ranks just boggles my mind.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Any type of intimidate system where a level 1 barbarian with 4 skill ranks in intimidate is scarier than a level 20 barbarian with no ranks just boggles my mind.

I don't know about standard 3.5 D&D, but the Conan game already does that. The standard defense roll when someone is trying to Intimidate you is: d20 + character level + WIS bonus + target's modifiers to saving throws vs. Fear.

You gotta be pretty doggone good at Intimidate to beat that.

Remove ads