• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expanding Coup De Grace?

Bavix

First Post
I noticed a thread on the messageboards that discussed how difficult it is to stake a vampire in the heart (or attempt any instant kill attack) with the existing D&D rules. I've actually been contemplating this for a while and I'm thinking about expanding the coup de grace action in such a way as to make it more usable in active combat.

Yeah, I know this a step in a dangerous direction but that's why I want some opinions on how to handle this before I enter such a major house rule into my game.

The best way I have thought of to introduce this rule so far has been as a new feat called Improved Coup De Grace, which would read something like this:

Improved Coup De Grace [General]
By dropping your own defenses, you deliver deadly accurate strikes whenever your opponent is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC.
Prerequisites: Death Blow (from Sword & Fist), Expertise, Improved Critical.
Benefit: You can deliver a coup de grace as a standard action whenever your opponent is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC. But, by doing so, you provoke attacks of opportunity from other opponents threatening you (not from the opponent you are attacking) and you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC until your next action.
Normal: Delivering a coup de grace is a full-round action.

The above feat is one option for expanding coup de graces. My other option is to make the ability to deliver a coup de grace as a standard action open to everyone if they take a major attack penalty (-4 to -8) and the penalties from the feat above (provoking AoOs and no Dex bonus to AC).

My main reason for even considering expanding the coup de grace in this way is to get the cinematic finishing moves into combat.

Examples:

When Darth Maul nails Qui'Gon in the face with the handle of his lightsaber (effectively stunning him) and then finishes him off with a pretty dramtic maneuver.

Every time Buffy stakes a vamp in the heart after throwing them on the ground (effectively prone or stunned, take your pick) or grappling them with one arm and staking them with the other (basically held).

Any kung fu movie where the opponents are striking, blocking, and countering faster than the eyes can see and then suddenly, one of the combatants throws a "stunning fist" and instantly follows it up with the killing blow (accompanied by a shrill ki scream).

What do you guys think?

Bavix

Crothian

First Post
What will your PCs say when you use this against them? They lose iniative, the Rogues all use theis on them getting sneak attack damage as well, and they all miss the fort saves. Next week, new campoaign with someone besides you running. :(

A coup De Grace is an automatic Critical. No need to roll to hit, just roll damage all that damage and then have them make a fort save or die.

Oni

First Post
I'm not sure this is a great idea. You see coup de grace is already a pretty powerful thing. However if the person was in the position to have it done to them then you already were at a significant advantage and they enemy is probably going to die anyway. However you open it up like your talking about and rogues will be dropping everything left in right with coup de grace sneak attacks in combat, even the toughest of beasts would likely fail their fort save, meeting their end.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Your ideas on Coup de grace are really bad.

The 'Cool Finishing Moves' in D&D, are the ones that reduce the victim to negative hit points. Get the DM to describe them in a cinematic manner.

Geoff.

hong

WotC's bitch
Also, note that just about the only time that people are denied their Dex bonus to AC is at the start of a fight, not the end of it. What you're describing is a great way to kill someone in the first round of combat, which isn't exactly what I'd call a "finishing move".

Hejdun

First Post
Make that 6.

Horrible idea. You would have dead PC's dropping from trees in no time. Initiative would be god. Improved initiative would be the most popular feat in your campaign. NOT having it would be stupid. Ambushes would pretty much instant kill a party before they could react.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Terrible, horrible, very bad idea. Completely unbalancing. Overpowered like a Toyota with a jet engine. I dunno what you've been smoking, but feel free to share. ;)

As has been pointed out, that feat will result in a lot of deaths in the first round of combat. It'll also make Invisibiity ridiculously overpowered; an invisible combatant could do a critical at max damage every round. Hell, if my halfling wizard took that feat, he could do more damage than the party fighter manages now!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads