• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expanding the spell lists of non-core classes

psionotic

Good Evening,

Every other week it seems, there is another Relics & Rituals, or Spells & Magic, or Book of Eldritch Might released... And that's great for your wizards, clerics, druids, etc. But what about those classes that aren't covered in the PHB?

Case in point: I'm playing a shaman (Oriental Adventures version, slightly modified) in an upcoming campaign, and I'm wondering how to expand the class spell list in a way which is both balanced and appropriate, using these other delicious sources. How do you go about doing this? Better yet, has someone already done something like this for me?

I'm kind of leaning towards just adding new spells that are additions to both the cleric and druid lists, or those that deal specifically with spirits, but as I can't really decipher the methodology behind the Shaman's original class spell list* its kind of slow going. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*Rant: OA Shaman spell list oddities
-They get Bull's Strength but not Endurance? This really hurts, as they only get d6 for hit points and Will as their only good save.
-They get an animal companion as a class ability but can't cast any of the Magic Fang spells??!!!
-They get Endure Elements as a 1st, and Protection from Elements as a 3rd, but not Resist Elements as a 2nd? Hhmmm...

Kamard

First Post
psionotic said:
-They get Bull's Strength but not Endurance? This really hurts, as they only get d6 for hit points and Will as their only good save.
-They get an animal companion as a class ability but can't cast any of the Magic Fang spells??!!!
-They get Endure Elements as a 1st, and Protection from Elements as a 3rd, but not Resist Elements as a 2nd? Hhmmm...

Just add spells that fit the flavour of the Shaman. Of the spells you've mentioned aren't there, I think Endurance (and the four other buff spells) would be fine to add to their list, and Resist Elements too. As for Magic Fang, maybe they don't believe in making their companions unnaturally powerful *makes something up that sounds plausible*

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I'm in the same boat. I play a shugenja and I really like R&R and R&R2, but I can't add the spells. That makes the class a lot weaker, imo. My dm is too lazy to add the spells, so I am forced to research them individually, which is a pain, especially since our campaign is REALLY fast paced. I haven't had a chance to find an animal companion since first level. I am now almost tenth. :-(

If My shugenja ever dies, I'm gonna roll up a sorceror or something, I think. Just to get access to the new spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads