• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Expect "seven or eight" Dungeons & Dragons games in the near future

Zardnaar

Legend
There was that one weird Gameboy one...

No idea. I was more meaning the main consoles, there was some bad Zelda's on the CDi but no one remembers that console.

Zelda's about as foolproof as it gets for games though. Not my cup of tea but they're great games IMHO.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
No idea. I was more meaning the main consoles, there was some bad Zelda's on the CDi but no one remembers that console.

Zelda's about as foolproof as it gets for games though. Not my cup of tea but they're great games IMHO.

Wind Walker and Skyward Sword get some bad reviews for being dull and derivative. I expect we'll get a few clunkers before we get anything good. In fairness, its not like every D&D game has been successful. Every previous attempt has been at translating the D&D TTRPG experience in some way into a computer game, while that's the most obvious way to translate the game, it isn't necessarily the only or even best way.

Heck, I'd personally like to see a game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the first one, not the second... bleh stupid Civil War) done with D&D. That game had some RPG elements, character building, equipment, all kinds of fun stuff. A D&D War for the Multiverse with a bunch of well known D&D characters all mashed together in a four player beat 'em up game would be super fun.

The future is in the videogame industry.

In my opinion the challenge for the game designers will be to find the balance of power between different playable factions in PvP games where someones have higher magic or tech level, for example musketeers vs warmages vs barbarians. If firearms are allowed, then nodoby want to play lowtech maglless characters as barbarians or swashbucklers.

My suggestion are a RTS set in Cerilia (Birthright), other set in Red Steel/Savage Coast to test firearms when the enemies are gunfighters are the PCs primitive savages, and later a Gamma World where to test the new ideas for a d20 Modern 2.0. (for example adding new abilities scores:acuity (astuteness + perception), courage and spirit ( = karma/luck/fate/guardian angel, resistance against supernatural attacks, but also hope and faith in the future). And a free app to be the AI for sole player board game, something like the "Hero Quest" board game, but now with the name "Endless Quest", for +10 children, easy rules to be learnt.

I imagine the ultimate D&D as an asymetric multiplayer where one is the dungeon master, creating rooms, and adding traps and monsters, something like the comingsoon "Resident Evil: Resistance", with an optional creative mode, like a quest/adventure/missions creators where nPCs with optional dialogues can be added. Even with the option to create machinima movies.

We will see a videogame of Dark Sun, but psionic powers need a lot of playtesting. Ravenloft is perfect for survival horror titles with puzzles and stealth as "the evil within", "silent hill", "resident evil" or "dead space".

Why not a coproduction with Capcom for a beat'em as "Shadow over Mystara"?

Videogames of Dragonlance, for +7 rating, deserve a second chance. I can't be worse than the originals between the last 80's and beginning of 90's.
The future??? Man, its been "the future" since the 90s.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I wish there was some chance of a DDO relaunch with new graphics and a 5e based ruleset, but the same basic style of gameplay.
You don't know how many times I have wished for this... DDO has amazing gameplay and quest-design. If only it were relaunched, then more people would realize that it's the D&D video game experience they've always wanted.

Also, DDO came out with a new level 1-2 starting zone based on Keep on the Borderlands recently. The fact that it didn't get any mention around here makes me sad.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You don't know how many times I have wished for this... DDO has amazing gameplay and quest-design. If only it were relaunched, then more people would realize that it's the D&D video game experience they've always wanted.

Also, DDO came out with a new level 1-2 starting zone based on Keep on the Borderlands recently. The fact that it didn't get any mention around here makes me sad.
Oh snap I didn’t know that!

Did it replace Korthos Island or is it an alternate option?

Either way I might have to make a new guy to check it out.

Remove ads