• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expectations/gamer courtesy

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Well, it's varied from group to group. We had a 'everyone bring your own food' setup. There was a time where two people kept feeding the rest of us--ok, usually me, but I was DMing that one. In the games I'm involved in now, one of us has access to a lot of leftover food that the rest of us scalp. I try to pick up drinks when they start running low, or drop off cash when they've already re-stocked.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
werk said:
Any suggestions for addressing this with my players?

I'd say just don't supply anything for a while and see what happens. If you need a drink or whatever yourself, just excuse yourself from the table and go have one in the kitchen.

Or if you can handle the awkwardness, get a can of soda and a snack of some type (like a sandwich...something they can't just reach over and take a handful of) and just eat it in front of them.

Its nice if everyone brings stuff that everyone else can have...its an ideal situation, but doesn't always work out. But taking care of the groups snacks and drinks is not your problem. Of course I'm old school...in any of our long time campaigns, our house rule was that the the DM always munched and sipped for free. Not a bribe, but in respect that he was the one doing the hard work. All the rest of us had to do was show up.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I agree that bringing food or drinks is a nice courtesy, and I usually do so when I game at other people's places. Often times they've already offered to provide food as part of the hosting package, but even so I try to bring some soda usually. Occassionally, if I'm running late, I might fail to do so.

In the regular game at my house, we order pizza (or something else) every week. All the players known to bring money to contribute, except those that don't like pizza and eat on their own first. People often contribute beer or soda, but I usually let them indulge in my own if they don't for whatever reason.

In short, yes it's certainly a courtesy, but not a hard and fast rule of any sort.

StupidSmurf

First Post
Showing up at a D&D game without dice and books is madness. That's like wanting to play baseball with your friends, but showing up in dress shoes and without a glove. :eek:

diaglo

Adventurer
StupidSmurf said:
Showing up at a D&D game without dice and books is madness. That's like wanting to play baseball with your friends, but showing up in dress shoes and without a glove. :eek:
take off your dress shoes. play in barefeet. and borrow a glove from the team at bat.

i was the only one in my OD&D group with the books and dice. it was years before anyone got some of their own.

as long as your group is friends first what does it matter.

Harmon

First Post
diaglo said:
as long as your group is friends first what does it matter.

First off its rude to expect someone else to loan you anything on a regular bases. Once in a while- "hay, I forgot my PHB and dice," that is okay, but if you have to barrow a book every session, your just being a jerk.

Books get thrashed by continious use, and once got a lot of books can not be recovered unless its at a used book store.

Friends don't moch more then a couple times a year and they always pay you back. If they don't then they arn't really friends.

diaglo

Adventurer
Harmon said:
First off its rude to expect someone else to loan you anything on a regular bases. Once in a while- "hay, I forgot my PHB and dice," that is okay, but if you have to barrow a book every session, your just being a jerk.

Books get thrashed by continious use, and once got a lot of books can not be recovered unless its at a used book store.

Friends don't moch more then a couple times a year and they always pay you back. If they don't then they arn't really friends.
wow. never really considered my friends to be mooching nor did i consider them to be rude.

guess i'll have to agree to disagree with you.

we were playing a group game. and we all were having fun. i refereed so the books weren't needed by the others. and when it came to rolling dice. only one dice score can be called out at a time/observed anyway. so only 1 set was needed.

werk

First Post
Ingrates!

What really cracks me up is when one of these players that didn't bring dice is using my dice from the "big-yellow-bowl-of-dice" complains because it rolls poorly.

I usually have a reply like, I'd never play without my personal dice...or books.

A lot of friend-game comments, I'd say we're more acquaintances than friends. All we do is play together, nothing extracurricular, so that's probably why I'm tentative about the problem in the first place. Meh, I move around a lot, and I love to game, what's a boy to do?

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well I would say just talk to them, but if you are not great friends already you may tick someone off and lose a player.

I most always DM and always have drinks and books/extra dice if needed.
Though they never have. I always host even if I don't DM cause I have the most room, great table and mucho minis.

My current group everyone brings drinks, snacks (sometimes meals) for sharing whenever they feel like it. If no one brings anything then there are only my snacks but mostly we end up with to much food.

armac

Long Live the Legion!
When I start to play with a new group, I tend to ask the DM if I should bring anything. I'm generally willing to buy stuff, and share with the group.

On the other hand, I've played in groups where everyone pretty much just brought their own junk food. No problem there either, as long as I'm aware of it.

When I've been the DM in my own home, I usually try to make sure I have some drinks available. Players that are playing in my home are usually friends, and I try to be hospitable.

As for gaming material. Pretty much everyone in my regular gaming group has their own dice, and brings their own paper and writing instruments. As for books, depending on the games, some guys don't feel like buying them. However, they might buy the books for other games that we want to play. Since we do like playing with each other, we tend to share the books at any given gaming session.

Remove ads