Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - your experiences?

JohnBiles

First Post
JohnOldSchoolBarrierPeaks.jpg

We had a ton of fun with this one; the PCs wrecked all kinds of havoc later with the gear they got here. But they were sad they couldn't get it to fly.

The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing critter suckered them pretty hard and due to some good rolling, they had a very ugly fight with it.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
The WISC nearly did us in when we played it. The module was one I dreaded when I heard about the premise, but I ended up having a blast with it when I ran through it 20 years ago. I bought an Ebay copy about a year ago and am preparing to run it for my C&C group in a couple months. The hardest part for our DM when he ran it was keeping us in check as far as recognizing items that our characters wouldn't have a clue about, he really had to sit on us pretty hard.

Did we _really_ need this thread necro'd from 3 years ago for you to post a picture and give two sentences?

Just so I'm not completely threadcrapping...

I ran this module earlier this year as the finisher to my year long E8 experiment. It was... interesting. The group had a lot of fun and I came close to killing everyone at least once, but managed to (barely) avoid actually killing anyone. Four level 8 characters, but they were pretty heavy hitters in the magic department. The system was a d20 variant.

Highlights:
One character rode the Lurker Above like a Dune Sandworm.

An Assassin Vine flung one character over the edge of the drop, and the whole rest of the party leapt over because it was safer than staying where they were.

Everyone but the warforge-type character gets snagged by ropers. Warforge type manages to rescue the others. Party beats a hasty retreat when they realize there's more lurking at the edges.

Party goes on a plant killing spree and one character is entirely engulfed. He blows the plant apart from the inside.

The Mindflayer (rebuilt using the Green Ronin Psychic Handbook) used the group's tactics against them, and seriously jacked them up with teleports and hit-n-run tactics. He had one character face wrapped and going for the brain suck when another character went with the probably suicide option and blew the thing up.

Humanaut

First Post
Oh yes, I was about 10y.o. then, we had recently moved so it was just my little brother and I playing. My father wanted to play, see what we were so into. My brother had a level appropriate PC, I had my father roll up a new PC... he wanted to be a wizard... for some reason I had him start at 1st level ! Needless to say he died quickly, somewhat confused about why he died so quick. He never did play again with us. Oops.

Later in college I ran it for my group in campaign play, but i had heavily modified it to be more like the Alien series with homebrew "Alien" and removing much of the original monsters. That scared the bejebus outta them. :devil:

Summer of '09 my highschool friends and I will gather again for a week of gaming: "Geekfest 4" Our DM has promiced a 3.5 conversion, heavily modified to foil us who've owned it for, um, long time. :D

Wik

First Post
Hm. I revived this thread to ask a question: How do you think it would work in a 4e conversion?

I had an interesting snippet of conversation with Blargney about running this as a one-shot, and I may just put together a run using the module. I have played it before, but I don't really recall it all that well. I remember something about exercise androids, and improvising the scene into a comedic one that was actually pretty cool.

The Green Adam

First Post
One of my favorite modules ever, if not THE favorite

The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was, essentially, the catalyst for my entire D&D campaign universe.

I intended to run a campaign of AD&D with a bunch of players who had all been playing for a few years but never together. We met at camp and had campaigns running with our non-summer/school time chums. Each wanted to use the character they had already been playing but I insisted that if they did, the PCs in my campaign belonged to my campaign. They were basically alternate, parallel world versions of the guys they'd been playing. They all said yes and we were off!

I altered the background and story slightly...a Mind Flyer, fleeing from knights and brave peasants from a near by village fled into the mountains only to discover a secret passage into the Barrier Peaks vessel which had been buried after crashing hundreds of years before. Most of the crew was dead and gone but the ship's commander survived in a suspended animation chamber. Curious to learn more of this bizarre, hidden 'castle' the Mind Flyer released the commander and sucked his brain dry. The result was utter maddness and the Mind Flyer's personalty and goals merged with those of the ship's captain. Soon, he commanded armies of Metal Men (Robots) to capture nearby villagers for sustenance and psionic research.

Enter, the Neutral Man, an almost elemental entity from the plane of true neutrality, the Concordant Opposition. Foreseeing the activities of the Mind Flyer, now calling himself Lord D'Ark, as a threat to all beings of all alignments on this world, the Neutral Man summoned a force to defeat the mad creature before he destroyed the world (exactly how or why he was going to destroy the world eludes me at present - this was written by my 12 year old mind and I'm 39 now). The heroes chosen came from all walks of life and all alignments, banded together by this Watcher-like fellow to save the day. It was an awesome adventure! Good guys and bad guys worked together, refused to work together, turned on each other and even changed alignment. In the end, the world was saved, D'Ark believed dead, the villains were given pardon and the heroes remained together to form a sort of medieval Justice League. The team used the Barrier Peaks as its base/HQ, later merging magic with some of the SF tech because they simply assumed the place ran on some strange sort of wizardry. Each of the members of the party had communicator type devices that they found in the ship/'castle' and they also kept many other gadgets and gear.

Many, many years later, when I started gaming with a very special friend of mine, I set my new campaign in the same world some 25-30 years of game time later.

I ran the original version, less modified, at least two other times for two other groups. I'll never forget how one group got inside the back flap thing on the Bullette and road around in it for a bit. I met Tony DiTerlizzi at Gen Con once and told him that story because he was looking through a copy of the module. When I met him again a year or so later he said, "I remember you. You're the guy with the Hatchback Bulltette."

Good times, good times.

AD
Brandon Wheeger: "But I want you to know that I'm not a complete brain case, okay? I understand completely that it's just a TV show. I know there's no beryllium sphere...no digital conveyor, no ship... "
Jason Nesmith: "Stop for a second, stop. It's all real."
Brandon Wheeger: "Oh my God, I knew it. I knew it! I knew it!"

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
This is one of the few adventures I ever played as I normally DMed. The DM i had taught me a lot about DMing, specifically the important of winging it when a player had a good idea.

Frex, my druid was able to draw on the ambient eletrical energy of the spaceship to cast call lightning (which otherwise required the presence of an electrical storm).

My druid also asked to explore the garden level rather thoroughly, specifically looking for poison spines or similar that could be used as weapons against the froghemoth. Said plants were soon found and the froghemoth slain rather quickly.

Anyway, two small events but they made my 12-year old mind realise that I had a lot more freedom as a DM to run a fun game if I so chose.

Estlor

Explorer
I'm actually working on adapting this to 4E and merging it with phase one of the BECMI "Wrath of the Immortals" path and the basic adventure Castle Caldwell and Beyond. (I'm running a very old school campaign right now that's merging a lot of classic BECMI and 1E adventures together.)

Basically, Clifton Caldwell buys an abandoned keep in the mountains only to find it inhabited and needs the PCs to clean it out. On the way, they encounter strange creatures (sprackles, ploppeds, vegepigmies) that are mutations caused by the ship's energy. At the keep they have to fight their way through lightning zombies, discover the keep was built on top of the remnants of an alien spacecraft (in this case, part of the Beagle from the Blackmoor "Cit of the Gods" adventure that landed in Karameikos after it went kablooie). The menagerie part actually becomes the early part of the adventure and once the portion of the ship is found it's a run through the metal men as they try to investigate the "Talking Shield" one of the lightning zombies told them about.

I'll need to tone it down a little bit because the party will be about 4th level when they go in the ship.

Wik

First Post
I'm actually working on adapting this to 4E and merging it with phase one of the BECMI "Wrath of the Immortals" path and the basic adventure Castle Caldwell and Beyond. (I'm running a very old school campaign right now that's merging a lot of classic BECMI and 1E adventures together.)

Basically, Clifton Caldwell buys an abandoned keep in the mountains only to find it inhabited and needs the PCs to clean it out. On the way, they encounter strange creatures (sprackles, ploppeds, vegepigmies) that are mutations caused by the ship's energy. At the keep they have to fight their way through lightning zombies, discover the keep was built on top of the remnants of an alien spacecraft (in this case, part of the Beagle from the Blackmoor "Cit of the Gods" adventure that landed in Karameikos after it went kablooie). The menagerie part actually becomes the early part of the adventure and once the portion of the ship is found it's a run through the metal men as they try to investigate the "Talking Shield" one of the lightning zombies told them about.

I'll need to tone it down a little bit because the party will be about 4th level when they go in the ship.

Hunh, cool. I think you'll have to tone it down more than just a "little bit", though. Are you planning on keeping one of the main hooks (that the PCs can't really get out once they get in?)

I'm personally thinking a 4e one-shot, with five pregenned characters and a lot of fun. Androids would make good soldiers, and Vegepygmies are the original skirmishers.

Remove ads