• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits

Crothian

First Post
I'm really looking forward to this one. I finally this year got to run the D series for the first time and even though it was alted to fit the campaign and the players were a little high level for it; it wa a blast. Of course Q gave uis a TPK. :D

C'mon, April!

What do we know about this? Will it start with a descent into the Underdark, or with travel to the Abyss?

XCR is a remake of Ravenloft; it this a remake of D1-2-3-Q1 or a revisit/reimagining?

delericho

Legend
I'm really looking forward to this one.

I'm a bit disappointed that it seems to top out at 12th level, but otherwise, bring it on!

paradox42

First Post
Actually, even if you don't use Epic levels, it's possible for characetrs at 20th to take on creatures with CRs well above 24 and win. Get a slightly larger-than-average group (my own parties are typically six characters, so I'm used to this), and allow feats, spells, and items from outside core rules (which as most everybody knows creates power creep), and it's actually possible for that group of 20th-level PCs to take on critters up to CR 30 and have a chance of surviving and winning. Now perhaps this is a symptom of the CR-system breakdown that's a common complaint of high-level play, but the point still stands- it can be done.

For example, my own Epic party has bucked the trend on CRs several times since they hit 20th; this last session in fact they took on an aspect of Demogorgon (I used the version in FC1 advanced to 40 HD and granted several other abilities), accompanied by a retinue of 12 death knights and all 12 of the Marilith Blackguards he's postulated to have in BoVD, and thanks to a carefully planned setup (they were expecting the attack, though perhaps not with everything he brought) they smashed him. They're 28th level, and Big D himself in that form should be CR 36 if FC1 is accurate.

Regarding this adventure, I'm fairly excited by the possibilities too, though if I ever do run it for my game you may rest assured I'll be doing it by advancing each and every creature in the module by at least 10 HD (particularly Lolth herself, assuming she shows up in it in some "aspect" or "avatar" as opposed to a "real form"). To my view, the planes controlled by archfiends are no place for any characters below high (and I mean, near-Epic and actual Epic) level.

Remove ads