• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expedition to Undermountain Opinions?

Baumi

Adventurer
HiHo!

I just wanted to know if someone already bought the Expedition to Undermountain and can give us some infos and share his opinions.

I especially would like to know if this is a big adventure or a collection of many small ones...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hmmm, not terribly surprising, given the space constraints, but still not great news. B1 in hardcover format isn't much to get excited about, unless the story is super-cool.

I'd been hoping to shove this beneath Ptolus as a level 1-8 crawl through Ghul's Labyrinth and then follow that up with Expedition to Greyhawk for later on.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Eric, I suppose you have to wait for the official release date to discuss the product? I think that is this Friday. I am very interested in this, as I have the boxed sets, but I'm not as interested given the description I read.

Baumi

Adventurer
Strange it's already available in Austria.

Anyway thanks for the Infos, but I can add now a little bit myself now (just flipped through, no complete reading!): :)

-) The first chapter seems to be a overview of the different levels and the city's surrounding the area.

-) The other chapters took some of these levels and created adventures in it (4 or 5) each are a just part of the level, so you can/have to create some additional adventures in it.

-) The Fluff text that you should read to the players is in a much bigger Font then the rest, which looks UGLY as hell and consume much space. :(

It's a completely different concept than I am used to. It's seems to be not a complete Adventure but a Campaign Setting Overview with some ready to use Adventures for it. I cannot say if this is a good or bad thing, but it's definitively unexpected for me.

I think they should have made that part clear and there would be no disappointment if you needed a compete (big) adventure and the fluff text size is simply awefull.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Zaukrie said:
It doesn't sound promising to me, especially this part: "Also, the maps are not labelled...instead, the encounters are suggested encounters for areas of the maps, but they do not detail like large trap rooms, puzzles/riddles, etc from each of the floors". Why would I pay that much money for incomplete maps and suggestions on encounters?

:confused: Again?! Rats. I just sold my old '80% incomplete' Undermountain boxed set to pay for this new book to find out it's still endless dungeon rooms I could draw myself with loads of missing descriptions? Most know I adore WotC but this does not thrill me at all.

In fact it's a royal PIA. Edit: Of course I will hold this opinion in check until it actually comes out for the normal public and I can confirm for myself. ;)

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

Remove ads