• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience Point: One Hundred Thirty Two Pounds

One hundred and thirty-two pounds. That’s the weight of my unwanted gaming books. I was just weighing myself (if you’re curious I weigh 187 at present and hope to drop about 10 pounds now that I’m back to running regularly). I saw those bins sitting there and I wondered how much they weighed. They were certainly taking up plenty of room in my basement. I also learned that it is very...

One hundred and thirty-two pounds.

That’s the weight of my unwanted gaming books. I was just weighing myself (if you’re curious I weigh 187 at present and hope to drop about 10 pounds now that I’m back to running regularly). I saw those bins sitting there and I wondered how much they weighed. They were certainly taking up plenty of room in my basement. I also learned that it is very difficult to look down at a scale when you’re holding a seventy pound bin of books.

Nearly all of these books were accumulated during the 3e boom just after the turn of the millennium. And there is some good stuff in there. But I’m never going to use it again. Or perhaps it is more the fact it isn’t worth keeping around on the slim chance I’ll use it again.

How did this happen? Well I used to make more money and I used to be a lot more careless with it. I made the mistake of thinking $20 here and $30 there was no big deal to spend on a hobby I love so much. And $20 here and $30 there really isn’t too much to spend if you do so intentionally and rationally. But I was neither of those things at the time.

I’ve sorted through those bins of books and kept a couple decent shelves worth. Some I simply couldn’t part with for sentimental reasons and some had too much potential to be mined for ideas. Things are different for me now and have been for the last several years. When I say “different”, what I really mean is much, much better.

If somebody asked me, “What was the smartest thing you have done to improve your marriage?” I’d say, “Gaining an understanding of our respective Love Languages and putting them to good use.” But if somebody asked me, “What was the second smartest thing you have done to improve your marriage?” I’d say, “Create a written budget and stick to it.”

We started doing that a bit over two years ago and have since paid off well over thirty thousand dollars in debt. We’ve still got a ways to go but there looks to be some light at the end of this tunnel and our cash flow feels a lot better. If there is one constant refrain about our finances, it’s we wish we had started a lot sooner than we did. We try to think less about what the delay cost us and more about what delaying even longer would have cost us.

Why was it so hard to get started? Because “budget” is NOT a fun word to say. I think, deep down, we knew we’d have to make one sooner or later. But later meant we wouldn’t have to stop spending money on fun stuff like 3e books. And of course we were very wrong about all of that.

Our budget has line items for things like entertainment, eating out at restaurants, and buying clothes in addition to things like the mortgage, utilities, and debt payments. When we finally understood our budget is simply a plan for how to spend our money rather than a numeric assassin of joy (high five Babylon 5 peeps!), we started to enjoy the peace it brought us. It is not only a record of the fact we had to replace the tires on my wife’s car but also a reminder to go out and have fun too. And sometimes that means spending money on gaming books.

The big shift in mindset was a few years ago, before we even had a budget in place. It wasn’t even much of a financial consideration at that point. I just had too many bookshelves devoted to gaming stuff. I decided I needed some better criteria on which to base my purchasing decisions. So I came up with this rule:

Unless I know for certain that I will use a gaming product in the next six months, I don’t buy it.

It has proved remarkably effective at stopping my impulse purchasing. More than once I’ve held some book in my hand at the friendly local gaming store and said, “Will I definitely be using this in the next six months?...” Then I put it back on the shelf and walk away. The answer is usually “No.”

What’s beautiful about it is the answer is sometimes “Yes!” Then I slap it on the counter with a smile and my debit card and make my purchase absolutely free of guilt. It’s a very nice feeling to know I’m having fun AND sticking to the budget.

I discovered another ancillary benefit of this policy: Buying more discriminately leaves more money in the budget for the sorts of gaming experiences I truly value. Notably, I can afford to go to GenCon and other Game Day events and roll dice with people I see too seldom.

We just underwent the annual scramble for badges and hotel rooms. It seems to get crazier and more expensive every year. Did you plan to be at the Best Four Days In Gaming? Did you budget for it or spend money you don’t have? Could you make room in your budget in other ways?

Let me know if anybody wants to buy 132 pounds of books.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
...that's a lot of books.

I've toyed with the idea of a budget in my head a few times, but in true procrastinator style I've always put it off. Given the success of the To-Do list, though, I think now might be the time. Or, and truthfully this is because I'm running low on time today, tomorrow might be the time.

If nothing else, it'd be good to look back through the last couple of months and see what my effective budget has been, even if it wasn't planned. I don't really know, at the moment, how much I spend on food per week or month.

Storminator

First Post
...that's a lot of books.

I've toyed with the idea of a budget in my head a few times, but in true procrastinator style I've always put it off. Given the success of the To-Do list, though, I think now might be the time. Or, and truthfully this is because I'm running low on time today, tomorrow might be the time.

If nothing else, it'd be good to look back through the last couple of months and see what my effective budget has been, even if it wasn't planned. I don't really know, at the moment, how much I spend on food per week or month.

Put "Make a Budget" on your to-do list. :D

PS

Alan Shutko

Explorer
My wife an I are doing our yearly finances right now and I went through and categorized the last year of transactions from our bank account and credit cards. It is definitely interesting to look back and see where the money is going. (Esp since we moved last year and had a lot of one-time costs.)

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit, as I've gotten older, "Am I really going to use this" has become a bigger and bigger criteria for my gaming purchases.

It hit me about the time the 3e/3.5 changeover when I realized that I was changing to 3.5 and had 3e books that, not only hadn't seen use at the table, but I hadn't actually finished reading yet. Sheesh. At that point, my gaming purchases have plummeted.

delericho

Legend
Wise words about establishing a budget.

Of particular note is your mention of wishing you had done it sooner. As with a lot of good habits, the sooner you do them the better - and, in fact, the longer you leave it, the harder the task often is. So do it now - don't wait until the stars align perfectly, because they never will.

Me, I have the other problem with 'unwanted' books - my RPG bookshelves hit maximum load at the weekend. And although my purchases have dropped to almost nothing, they're not quite at nothing - those monthly Pathfinder volumes still take up space!

Dammit! It seems that I can't rep blog comments!

The thread is also accessible in the "Tabletop Gaming" forum, where the Rep option seems to be intact.

SethDrebitko

First Post
I recently bit the bullet and started budgeting my $$$ (I use You Need a Budget) and am pretty happy in the short time I have been budgeting. I have somehow managed to start saving more, and free up more money for gaming stuff. Conventions have also become a more important part of my gaming budget as I am finding more that the fun of getting together is so often better than the stuff.

kitsune9

Adventurer
This applies to me. I got married, wife took over finances, there's no more money for gaming. Period. Now that I have a kid, there's no more gaming. Period. Now my wife is trying to push me to get rid of my gaming books, but that will be a cold day in hell.

SethDrebitko

First Post
[MENTION=18507]kitsune9[/MENTION] This is pretty much how things went when we first got married, but we separated our finances and it has been the best thing in the world. We have a core account that gets filled up equally by both of us that takes into consideration household expenses, savings, blah blah and then whatever amount is left over money is fun. Mind you it's not a fortune to play with :p.

Also maybe you could both have rotating breather weeks? This way it gives you both some time alone to unwind from the stress.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads