• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience with Jedi

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I don't own the book so I'm not too familiar with the rules. What is it about stunning that makes it so terrible? It must be more than its availability (because virtually every gun seems to have the capability)

mojo1701

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
I don't own the book so I'm not too familiar with the rules. What is it about stunning that makes it so terrible? It must be more than its availability (because virtually every gun seems to have the capability)

If Person A fires a gun on stun at Person B, Person A must first make the attack roll (beating Person B's defense like normal), if the roll doesn't succeed, Person A missed. However, if Person A succeeds, Person B must make a Fort Save (or Will, I'm not sure). If Person B makes the save, he/she is stunned for 1 round*. If Person B doesn't make the save, he/she is stunned for (usually, but depending on the gun) for 1d4+1 rounds*.

*I could be mistaken and it really is not round, but hour, but I'm quite sure it's round.

Mojo's got it right except for a couple of details.

Passing the save means you are Stunned only for a round. But the Stunned condition only means you drop anything you're holding and can't act for one round.

If you FAIL the save, you are knocked unconscious for 1d4+1 rounds.

Really, it all takes being hit, and it isn't horrible design. You still take half damage when you save from a normal grenade.

The big problem with the Stun rules is that they bypass the 'hero factor' that VP give you almost completely, and when taken to their logical end by players they lead to orgies of stun-grenade hurling and full-auto stun fire, followed by bouts of very un-Star Warsy helpless-enemy-throat-slitting. When the most efficient way to take down a powerful enemy is with nominally non-lethal weaponry, something is very fishy.

I long ago house-ruled 'subdual' damage into Star Wars, and cut the Fort save against stun fire out completely. There are a few other alternatives in the errata/FAQ file from what i remember too.

humble minion said:
The big problem with the Stun rules is that they bypass the 'hero factor' that VP give you almost completely, and when taken to their logical end by players they lead to orgies of stun-grenade hurling and full-auto stun fire, followed by bouts of very un-Star Warsy helpless-enemy-throat-slitting. When the most efficient way to take down a powerful enemy is with nominally non-lethal weaponry, something is very fishy.

I long ago house-ruled 'subdual' damage into Star Wars, and cut the Fort save against stun fire out completely. There are a few other alternatives in the errata/FAQ file from what i remember too.
Of course, in all my years and many, many games, I've never seen that tactic used. Its been TALKED about, but I find that the players themselves attempt to keep the Star Wars feel almost more than I do as a GM. Sure, they'll use the stun setting to down an enemy for a few rounds if they're outnumbered, but I've never seen it used as a tactic to get some easy kills.

Though maybe I've just hand far too many good players. :)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
You should know I believe in the tactic of mutually assured destruction. Try that on my NPCs and you'll find they get smart. :p :D

To be honest... I don't think any of my characters in your games would be the type to do that... I play such nice people. :(

greymarch

First Post
Jedi are over-powered, especially at higher levels. A properly written 11th level Jedi, for example, using all the rules presented in all the official d20 SW RPG books, could kill any official SW RPG NPC.

Did you know its possible for a Jedi to do 8d8 lightsaber damage? The right combination of prestige classes will accomplish this insane damage. If you use the Jedi artisan prestige class, from the Official website, you can get 9d8 lightsaber damage.

Take a look at lightsaber form 4, from the Hero's Guide. Its an over-powered feat.

The combination of using a force-point with Power attack is also over-powered, especially if you win initiative, and catch your opponent flat-footed (thus eliminating his dodge bonuses.)

Disspate Energy, a favorite feat of Jedi, is also over-powered. A simple saving throw will save a jedi from nearly any blaster in the game.

The fact that Jedi are over-powered is one of the reasons why the d20 SW RPG game died. People didnt like the rules for Jedi. They are difficult to balance.

Last edited:

greymarch

First Post
The problem with the stun setting on blasters is that the stun is automatic. You only have to hit your opponent. The saving throw is irrelevant. Stunning your opponent for one round is a huge advantage. In a group game, like SW RPG, one of your allies keeps stunning the opponent, and the rest of you get to stomp on your opponent for free.

Check your official d20 D&D books. Try to find spells or items that AUTOMATICALLY stun someone on a hit. They are few and far between, but in the SW RPG game, almost all blasters have the stun setting.

Most GMs change the blaster-stun rule in the d20 SW RPG.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads