• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experiences with Basic Fantasy RPG

Raven Crowking

First Post

Any time. Brilliant stuff, and much that I modified for my own game. :)

I visited your site... you have a few images that don't display. Just thought you might like to know.

Thanks. When I have the August release done, I'll try to fix them.

Oh, and your RPG system looks interesting. A bit too "advanced" for me, but definitely interesting.

Any adventures done for my system should adapt pretty easily to yours, though, and vice versa. The different specifics should be easy to ignore. I am working on an RCFG megadungeon that shouldn't take more than 20 minutes per level to adapt to BF when done.....mostly just cutting & pasting stat blocks. I'd be happy to send you a copy when completed (perhaps around Christmas.......:blush:).

RC

Korgoth

First Post
Ah, this thread is bittersweet for me now...

I bought the BFRPG book. I printed the Almanack, made character sheets, converted one of my favorite basic D&D module, and got ready to run a game. This Friday!

No one was interested. I actually had players willing to take a few weeks off game rather than "go backwards" from 3e.

So I boxed up my BFRPG stuff for now, and intend that ONE DAY I shall run my BFRPG game; probably not with those losers.

Ouch! That sucks, man. I'm sorry to hear it.

Hopefully they didn't accuse you of "nostalgia". :(

Oni

First Post

What the heck is wrong with nostalgia? I go back to things fairly often for no better reason than to enjoy the simple pleasure of nostalgia. Growing tired of it being turned into a dirty word both by those that try to use as an insult and the hypersensitive who let them. :rant:

Korgoth

First Post
What the heck is wrong with nostalgia? I go back to things fairly often for no better reason than to enjoy the simple pleasure of nostalgia. Growing tired of it being turned into a dirty word both by those that try to use as an insult and the hypersensitive who let them. :rant:

"Hypersensitive"? No, I just don't like bullshoot.

"Nostalgia" means "The thing you like objectively sucks and you're irrational."

But hey, if you like being insulted I'm not going to stop you.

Ah, this thread is bittersweet for me now...

I bought the BFRPG book. I printed the Almanack, made character sheets, converted one of my favorite basic D&D module, and got ready to run a game. This Friday!

No one was interested. I actually had players willing to take a few weeks off game rather than "go backwards" from 3e.

So I boxed up my BFRPG stuff for now, and intend that ONE DAY I shall run my BFRPG game; probably not with those losers.

Anyone in the Metro Detroit area looking for a BFRPG game; I'll make arrangements.

:confused: Hang on a moment. Nobody wants to "go backwards" but everyone hates 4E? Do any of these turkeys have the stones to run a game themselves? If the answer is no, then it's time to find new friends.

Oni

First Post
"Nostalgia" means "The thing you like objectively sucks and you're irrational."

That's pretty much the kind of thing I'm talking about right there.

But hey, if you like being insulted I'm not going to stop you.

Insulted? No. Mildly annoyed? Yes.

Like I said before, there's a small group that seems to want to turn nostalgia into a weaponized buzzword, and another small group that wants to use it to take umbrage at the drop of a hat, and both are being largely unreasonable.

Remathilis

Legend

Heh. I SOLD it partially on the "nostalgia" kicker! As one player put it "Its nostalgic for you (since you started in BD&D) but not for us (since we started in 2e)." Another said "Well, if we're going to go back, why don't we just dust off our 2e material."

:confused: Hang on a moment. Nobody wants to "go backwards" but everyone hates 4E? Do any of these turkeys have the stones to run a game themselves? If the answer is no, then it's time to find new friends.

Ha! Good point!

The general consensus (excluding one diehard 4e fan and myself) is 3.x is fine enough, they shouldn't have messed with it. Anything earlier brings up ghosts best left forgotten (differing XP tables, 5 save slots, thief % skills) but 4e basically went too far in changing everything to become hyper-balanced and thus "bland".

(This is not an EW: these are my players thoughts, not mine. Don't argue with me, these don't represent my views)

One is a DM (3e). One DMed before (but would rather play; he'd also like to play 4e).

Otherwise I agree with you; its a very "closed-minded" view on things, but short of kicking everyone out to run a game I'm not even sure would last long (it might NOT be what I wanted after all) I'm kinda in a bind.

"Nostalgia" isn't a bad word to me. Your mileage may vary.

I like it. I accept it. Its not my only reason to looking into the game, but I don't deny its a selling point.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
"Nostalgia" isn't a bad word to me. Your mileage may vary.
Nostalgia isn't a bad word at all and is also a rather common feeling. People sometimes take umbrage at the fact that the word is used in a context like "It's only because of an irrational feeling of nostalgia that you play old editions of D&D even though they clearly suck and the new editions are so much better."

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Otherwise I agree with you; its a very "closed-minded" view on things, but short of kicking everyone out to run a game I'm not even sure would last long (it might NOT be what I wanted after all) I'm kinda in a bind.
Are the players unwilling to even play a single trial game?

If so, yes it's rather close minded. On the other hand, if they've tried and would rather play 3e, this is something I can respect. I personally prefer a variety of games, but I can't begrudge someone for wanting to stick with a single game that they like best.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads