• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experiences with Green Ronin's The Psychic's Handbook d20?

Committed Hero

Adventurer
I've wished I could use it in a Modern game. The biggest obstacle I see is that you might be siphoning off skill points to buy psionic skills, making normal skills a bit less useful (plus you might be using Psicraft and Autohypnosis, for further dilution).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't used it yet- my current group isn't interested in Modern anything- but it looks like it would be pretty good.

Khaalis

Adventurer
If you want to do Modern and like GRR's work, I'd seriously suggest looking at True20. It is a good system with streamlined rules and can be used for any genre of game. It includes a streamlined and updated material set based on the Psychic's Handbook.

Nebulous

Legend
tinktinktinktink said:
Hi. I'm running a d20 Modern game, and one of the players has asked me to consider replacing the default d20 Modern psionics system with the system found in Green Ronin's The Psychic's Handbook:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10300.phtml

I'm reading reviews of it right now, but I was wondering if anyone here has played with it, and if so, what were your experiences?

I love it and highly recommend it. If you're worried about the skill point allocation, just give the Psionics its own subset of points that don't siphon from the other skills.

FunkBGR

Explorer
I was leery at first, and decided to use it for my aberrations such as illithid, aboleth 'n such.

Works great - it really caused the players some worries when telekinetic blasts were erupting around them, and stuff like that. There's a couple of powers that need looking at in the sense that they aren't as good as their spellcasting counterparts (Domination lasts for concentration, while the spell Dominate Person lasts for days - granted, you can use Domination prolly much earlier).

True20 does indeed have some "updates" and includes new ideas for powers, such as Energy Control and Plant-shaping, etc.

Psion

Adventurer
I actually think that the book works better for modern than it does D&D/D20 fantasy. The class starts out strong compared to other casters in D&D, but in modern, the fact that most classes are delayed until 3rd and that standard casters get more class abilities makes it more equitable.

Breakdaddy

First Post
I used it in a Grim Tales game I ran a while back. It was a bit X-Filesey so I didnt want any big flashy powers that would kill suspension of disbelief. I used the psychics handbook and was well pleased with how the powers worked out. It was easy to use too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads