• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experiences with the updated Skill Challenge?

Baumi

Adventurer
The first Skill Challenge Method was too hard, but the new one seems so easy that I haven't seen a GM (including me) who uses the new DC's since they are no challenge at all for a trained Character...

So has anyone here actually used the new (post-errata) Skill Challenge without any house-ruling? I would really like to know some opinions how it ran since I only had very few SCs myself.

P.S.: Please no discussion about theory/math, I just want to know about ACTUAL in-play-experiences.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Yep.

Complexity 3. Ended up with 7 successes and 2 failures before the last roll.

The PCs were level 3, the challenge was level 4.

edit: There were only 3 PCs in the skill challenge. They all had to contribute - because they'd get stabbed if they didn't.* They were not always in a position to Aid each other.

* - I think this is very important in running skill challenges, because the DM doesn't get to roll for NPCs.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Rescue at Rivenroar appears to use the new DCs. Out of all the skill challenges in it, we only failed two (the social ones). They weren't high complexity or high level though, so the results seemed about right.

keterys

First Post
Well... I don't have experience with the new numbers, but I can say that I've only seen two skill challenges failed using the old DCs out of 30 or so I've been part of or DMed. One was failed by a landslide, even by people who were pretty good with some assists, and the other was just barely failed because someone just wasn't quite paying enough attention.

amysrevenge

First Post
I always like to come back to comparing the success rate of skill challenges to the success rate of combat encounters.

Since generally the penalty for losing a skill challenge is lower than the penalty for losing a combat encounter, it would be cool if you failed at skill challenges a little more often than you do at combat encounters.

In most games I play, the success rate for combat encounters approaches 100% - often the first fail means a restart with new, not-quite-so-dead PCs. If the success rate for skill challenges is in that neighbourhood, then I'm happy.

On the other hand, if the style of game you're in means running away from lost combats more often, then more failures in skill challenges is good too, I suppose.

More on-topic: I've still only done old-style skill challenges. Never succeeded at even one of them.

keterys

First Post
It's better not to think of failing a skill challenge like failing a combat, but more like doing poorly at a combat. Ie, like one person dying or having to burn some potions.

It's better not to think of failing a skill challenge like failing a combat, but more like doing poorly at a combat. Ie, like one person dying or having to burn some potions.

I agree.

I see it like this - will PCs lose a battle against an equal level encounter?
Most likely they will not. They need bad tactics and bad rolls for that.

So, if you want a really tough fight, you increase the level.
If you want a really tough skill challenge, increase the level.

A high complexity, higher level challenge has a good enough chance for failure.

We have run so far two skill challenges of our level, and failed at neither. In both cases, the party had exactly the right skills and sometimes even items enhancing them (one was a level 5 urban chase, and another was a level ~16 overland travel challenge.)

Mezzer

First Post
My party went through a level appropriate complexity 3 challenge a few days, using the new DCs and system, and we made it through with one failure, thanks to decent dice and some clever use of secondary skills (and primary ones for that matter). We pretty much found out that those DCs work well if you're using standard array for ability scores.

Syrsuro

First Post
Rescue at Rivenroar appears to use the new DCs. Out of all the skill challenges in it, we only failed two (the social ones). They weren't high complexity or high level though, so the results seemed about right.

Rescue at Rivenroar very clearly does not use the new DCs. The DCs for the social challenges range from DC 20 to DC 13, with most being DC 15.

Those appear to be the values from the old table (pre-errata) but without the footnote. Exactly as the majority of the community seem to have decided is appropriate.

The new errata would have lowered the DCs for each part of the skill challenge by five so that the difficult roles were DC 15 and the moderate rolls were DC 10.

The only DC I saw that was as low as a 10 (the errata versoin of a Moderate DC) was one that took three PCs making the role to equal one success.)

Carl

Remove ads