• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experts as PCs

tombowings

First Post
I'm sure I've seen this topic before, but I ran a Google search on the subject and couldn't get anything remotely related. Anyway...

I would like to play an expert character in an upcoming champaign. The character will be based on skill with little combat ability. He was the son of an architect and took up adventuring to escape a mundane life. As I looked through all of the PHB classes, I couldn't find much to support my character's backstory. This is a 1st level character, so it makes sense that he is just starting his career.

Before I get too far into the backstory, I would like to get to what I'm really asking. Is is possible to play a viable Expert (as in the NPC class) as a PC? If not, what would you do to make it more viable.

I was thinking of talking to my DM about allowing a bonus feat every three levels, but wasn't sure how balanced the class was in the first place. And comments about the class or the addition of bonus feats would be helpful.

I'm not planning to stay an expert for his whole career, but am going to make choices based on his experiences adventuring.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
What could the Expert do that a Bard, Rogue, Ranger or other skill-oriented PC class could not do?

Jeweler: Rogue, with Appraise, Forgery, Craft (jewelery) and Profession (blacksmith or gold/silversmith, if that's different in your game).

Wood Carver: Ranger, with Craft (flechery), Craft (bows) and Craft (sculpture). "I only ev'r shot th' bow t' make sure th' arrows're gonna fly straight, y'know."

Trial Lawyer: Bard, with Perform (oratory). Yes, a chaotic neutral Bard lawyer. No wonder he's found himself in a dungeon.

Cheers, -- N

well an architect dont often sneak attack folks or sing folks into doing stuff or very woodsy.
the expert is just that no extra stuff that does not go along with what he wants. now u can use the classes u bout up very easy if the background works with there class skills. for what he's wanting i dont think there a good fit really but thats up to him and his dm

tombowings

First Post
Thanks for the responses.

It isn't that some of the other classes wouldn't work (rogue, bard, ranger), but that they have too much baggage that goes along with them. I don't see the character as a performer, hunter, trapfinder (maybe in later levels), or backstabber.

The expert class looks really good, but still isn't what I am searching for. However, it was suggested on the WotC forum that I take a level in the Human Paragon class. This was just what I was looking for.

Thank you all again.

~Ian

Aus_Snow

First Post
If you get a chance, check out the Savant class from the Thieves' World Player's Guide (from Green Ronin.) It's a d20 setting book, based on the Thieves' World novels.

Anyway, that class would be just about perfect, I suspect.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Expert works fine as is (albeit that imc experts can take item creation feats)
its not combat optimised but that fits the concept and good skill choice can compensate

Claudius Gaius

First Post
Eclipse: The Codex Persona has a section on converting non-player character classes to player character classes in the back. That might do what you want as well.

I played a rogue character who was a lawyer. I was new to that campaign and the previous session the PCs had been arrested and I was there trial lawyer. I got them out and they prevented my assassination later that night at a celebration they through as thanks!

Currently I am playing an 8th level rogue who is simply a locksmith. I get +25 to open locks and +22 to disable device! Yes, I can sneak attack and what not but I describe all of his unrelated abilities as survival tactics he has developed as a result of adventuring.

I thought about taking 1-2 levels in expert with both characters but decided that there really isn't anything to gain out of the expert class that I can't gain from rogue or bard.
:cool:

Last edited:

Remove ads