• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Explain INT and Reflex, Please

Hambot

First Post
Masters of the Arcane have limited ability to see into the future and anticipate timelines that will cause them harm, then manipulating those futures by anticipating an opponents every move. Shifting away from swords in the nick of time, a wizard almost has an aura of indestructibility surrounding him or her as they duck and weave through the battlefield.

Or maybe its because in 4E, Wizards are the only PC's who aren't complete idiots, and that has to count for something somewhere - they somehow keep convincing others to protect them all the time.

My personal belief is that the smart Wizard is the only PC quick enough in the head to effectively insult monsters during battle, giving them that extra edge needed to run away as the monster furrows its brow in a vain attempt to understand the vile slander.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I always like 'Smart Defence' in d20 Modern which allowed someone to use Int for defence (or something like that). The duelist prestige class used to add Int to defence.

There are plenty of examples in the past where WotC have used Int for defence and nobody has batted an eyelid, so why not bring it into the core rules?

Dex includes quick reactions, Int includes quick/smart thinking. I think it is a neat change.

Cheers

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Incoming fireball.

Dex: Get down!
Int: 80 degrees. At that speed. Factor in wind direction. Sidestep.

Int is learning, reasoning, and logic. Memorizing the opponents attack style, guessing the attack's point of impact, and creating tactical defenses.

DemonLord57

First Post
I'd say that most examples aren't really examples of intelligence as much as they are either quick thinking or observational and analytical skills. I guess you could say that's a part of "Intelligence" as it relates to the game, but it's not a part of what intelligence is in real life.

CountPopeula

First Post
I'd say that most examples aren't really examples of intelligence as much as they are either quick thinking or observational and analytical skills. I guess you could say that's a part of "Intelligence" as it relates to the game, but it's not a part of what intelligence is in real life.

Yes, but there isn't an ability score for "being clever." Other than Intelligence.

Doomhawk

First Post
The guy with high Dexterity avoids blows by simply moving fast. The guy with high Intelligence has already moved out of the way by the time an enemy starts his attack.
Anticipation vs. reaction.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

In D&D Intelligence is learning, reasoning, and logic. It's how quickly you can use information. In real life, Intelligence is heavily based off the usage of and amount of knowledge. This is handled in the game by skills and proficiencies.

Arakim

First Post
Watson: Good Grief, Holmes! how did you avoid that explosion?

Holmes: I didn't, good man. I was smart enough to stand where the outcropping of rock there would absorb most of the shock. Elementary.

Watson: Indeed. How then did you avoid that sword strike to your head?

Holmes: Elementary, my dear Watson. I knew from his positioning he meant to come straight down with a chop to my head, so I moved inside his swing and clipped him in the chin.

Watson: Good Grief, how outrageous.

Indeed. But this could justify such bonuses to AC. It isn't about reacting to the attack, but anticipating it and planning a defense before the attack is even launched.

A man with a 25 DX is attacked by 3 ninjas. A Matrix sequel breaks out.

A man with a 25 IQ is attacked by 3 ninjas. He seems to stumble around, being incredibly lucky, but he has calculated every move like a Chess Master, and he knows where his foe will strike before his foe does, and reacts accordingly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads