• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Explain to me what OSRIC is

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Stuart, how close are we to the release of OSRIC 2.0? I'm looking to start a new campaign, and I've been bouncing back and forth in my head between using OSRIC or/and C&C.

I could break out my 1E books, but the combat tables in my DMG have worn off by over an inch at the corners. That and the books served me well for years and deserve their well earned retirement ;)

Stuart, how close are we to the release of OSRIC 2.0? I'm looking to start a new campaign, and I've been bouncing back and forth in my head between using OSRIC or/and C&C.

I could break out my 1E books, but the combat tables in my DMG have worn off by over an inch at the corners. That and the books served me well for years and deserve their well earned retirement ;)

I've just--literally, an hour ago--downloaded a corrected proof of the final manuscript from the layout guy. I could, in theory, begin distributing it now.

I'd like to reduce the filesize from its present 221 MB (very high quality image resolution in this version) and the index remains to be done. However, if you would like to run a campaign and it needs to start now, I'll arrange to get you a version without the index within the week.

Though there's no index, there IS a very comprehensive (6-page) hyperlinked table of contents.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
I've just--literally, an hour ago--downloaded a corrected proof of the final manuscript from the layout guy. I could, in theory, begin distributing it now.

I'd like to reduce the filesize from its present 221 MB (very high quality image resolution in this version) and the index remains to be done. However, if you would like to run a campaign and it needs to start now, I'll arrange to get you a version without the index within the week.

Though there's no index, there IS a very comprehensive (6-page) hyperlinked table of contents.

That is extremely generous of you. I'm not going to say no, but at the same time I don't want you to be put out. The campaign can hold if needed... procrastination rarely needs an excuse ;)

The hyperlinked TOC sounds beyond useful... I expect I'll put it fully through it's paces when the time comes.

That is extremely generous of you. I'm not going to say no, but at the same time I don't want you to be put out. The campaign can hold if needed... procrastination rarely needs an excuse ;)

The hyperlinked TOC sounds beyond useful... I expect I'll put it fully through it's paces when the time comes.

While I was mucking around on ENWorld, Jim Kramer was busy fixing things. :)

This version has a form-fillable character sheet. Gotta love that! He's also cut the image resolution for me, bringing the file down to a much more acceptable 17 megabyes.

Bout time I stopped boasting about it and showed you... so it's time to post a public link to the work in progress.

This is an unindexed, low-resolution preview of the current beta. But it's not a release.

It's free; download it, share with your players, etc. Use it how you like.

OSRIC2_LR.pdf

In return, if you spot errors and/or typos, please let me know by posting them here or emailing me at (the game's name)(at)knights-n-knaves.com.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Page 20, Creating a Character left side of page should be Character Races (Dwarves)

yes, i'm plowing thru with a quick scan... 400 pages... woot!

Page 20, Creating a Character left side of page should be Character Races (Dwarves)

yes, i'm plowing thru with a quick scan... 400 pages... woot!

Well, there are some blank pages and some of the tables are repeated (in the compiled tables in the appendices). Also, there are some ads and it took me a whole page to comply with the Tome of Horrors citation requirements. :)

Call it ~375 pages of useful content.

JeffB

Legend
I don't care much for C&C. As mentioned by Goblinoid Games, I don't think it brings much valuable to the table for me. It doesn't inspire me to play, and it's kinda ... I dunno, drab. Others love it, and I can see some of the appeal, I just don't feel it.

Totally understandable. I'm a fan of C&C (and I'd be playing it if I were not trying to get my 4E game running on a consistent basis), but no doubt that C&C both physically as a product and in how it reads is drab as drab can be. Frankly it's boring as hell to look at and an uninspiring read. It could def use an overhaul in those respects (no offense to the Trolls, as I love those guys- just an "IMO" point)

The ease of adaptability with older (and some 3X) material as well as the play experience is where the game "comes alive" so to speak- at least IME. I def houserule some things in though-

BPIJonathan

Explorer
However, if you need a professional editor and proofreader to look it over, then I will offer my services.

I know I am coming into this thread late, but I just wanted to say if you get the opportunity to hire sjmiller, do so. He is an excellent editor, writer and idean man. I know I dont regret his involvement in any of the projects hes worked upon for me. He and I were just talking last night about doing a version of the Gaslight Victorian setting we wrote using the OSRIC rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads