Explorer's Handbook (Book Approval)

Bront

The man with the probe
I arived yesterady, these are the 2 days I get to do something with the Fiance, so I don't always have time to read till late tuesday night (and these have been odd days).

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, my comments on the crunch initialy.

Cataclysm Mage... Heavy RP reqs, particularly the final power. The crafting thing doesn't seem to be an issue, it saves you some XP on certain abilities, but you still need to craft the weapon completely (It says create, not add). I'd personaly recomend doing it with the prophesy option of fufilling it to advance.

Thunderguide... Perhaps underpowered a bit? It seems fine, I'd have no problem with it in any way. Several ways to get in at 5th level, a few more at 7th level, and any class can get in by 9th. Probably a better NPC class, but it works. I'd give it a YES.

Windwright Captain... Nice flavor, hard to enter, not overpowering. I'd give it a YES.

I didn't see much else of interest in the book. Mostly squishy stuff as mentioned earlier. Nothing that realy should be of note I think. I'd probably be willing to approve the book wholesale.

Bront

The man with the probe
I know, but we're talking about 3 PrCs, and nothing else in here realy needs review.

Anyway, I'm voting YES on wholesale approval of this book

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront, are the magic items okay? If KO has this, he's more fit to approve than I. If not, I will try to vote (probably also a yes) based on incomplete info, but I reserve a right to retroactively retcon a no on anything not spelled out explicitly that turns out to have been broken.

Bront

The man with the probe
I didn't see anything that wasn't an artifact, and I sorta ignored those. I'll check again. The other stuff was elemental ship stuff.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Bront, are the magic items okay? If KO has this, he's more fit to approve than I. If not, I will try to vote (probably also a yes) based on incomplete info, but I reserve a right to retroactively retcon a no on anything not spelled out explicitly that turns out to have been broken.
There is the magic life vest (I discussed above).

As for the giant/goblinoid items mentioned in the back (should be foundable, not makable initially in my mind):
- Disc of Absorbtive Negation (Giant): Absorbs one spell while you cast dispel magic, allows you to use that charge on one spell withing 24 hours.
- Darke Helm (Giant): Allows sorcs to gain 1-4 spells as a known spell. Spell must be cast into a dragonshard in the helm (a larger/more $$ shard for higher spell levels). New spells swappable once a month.
- Monocle of the Ebon Hunter (Giant): +1 or +2 bonus on ranged attacks to 60' (+2 version also gives +1 damage); darkvision 60'.
- Necklace of the Phantom Library (Giant): Necklace that can store 500 pages of spells that it projects for you; you can add spells w/o the normal gp cost; takes 8 hours per spell. When worn, obscure vision totally (total concealment); others see you just fine.
- Robe of Arcane Might (Giant): Armor bonus of +2 to +8. Also can +2 CL for one school of magic for level-dependent spell variables/CL checks.
- Titanic Hammer (Giant): adamantine hammer +1-+3, deals double damage to objects, 1/day can bull rush everyone in a 60' line of earth.
- Twlight Armor Special Ability
- Vangard Treads (Giant): Warforged component that allows you freer movement through difficult terrain and better resistance vs. bull rushes and similar movement.

- Banner of the Storm's Eye (Goblinoid): Surpresses fear effects in 20' (wearer takes ACP and max dex bonus to AC penalties)
- Implacable Blade: Byeshk sword that caused 2 hp/ round to be lost in addition per wound; can only be stopped with cure spell or heal. Also +1--3. If blade looses half hitpoints, bound devil in sword's dragonshard escape and goes crazy; blade is then just a normal +1-+3 sword.
- Raven Skull Rod (Goblinoid): 3/day, send a message to another raven skull rod created in the same batch
- Tunic of Thurrinak (Goblinoid): +1-+5 bonus to natural armor and deflection.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Since KO hasn't shown up, I'm going to vote YES with the caveat that PCs can't craft these items (since I don't know if they are underpriced or not)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Since KO hasn't shown up, I'm going to vote YES with the caveat that PCs can't craft these items (since I don't know if they are underpriced or not)
They are all priced w/ CL; but I agree that they shouldn't be craftable immediately.

Remove ads