• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Explosive Rune Goodness

anest1s

First Post
Search said:
Active abjuration spells within 10 feet of each other for 24 hours or more create barely visible energy fluctuations. These fluctuations give you a +4 bonus on Search checks to locate such abjuration spells.

Abjuration Description said:
If one abjuration spell is active within 10 feet of another for 24 hours or more, the magical fields interfere with each other and create barely visible energy fluctuations. The DC to find such spells with the Search skill drops by 4.

I am not sure that they would stack...?

Anywayz, I have a solution :p keep a stack of papers inside a bag of holding; then every day remove each one of them for a minute out of the bag, and back in.

If you want all of the runes in one piece of paper, tear it apart, then write explosive runes on its parts, then mend them together before you use them :p

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I am not sure that they would stack...?

Anywayz, I have a solution :p keep a stack of papers inside a bag of holding; then every day remove each one of them for a minute out of the bag, and back in.

If you want all of the runes in one piece of paper, tear it apart, then write explosive runes on its parts, then mend them together before you use them :p
I get the tear apart, write on pieces, than mend part, I see how that would work.
Why the pull out of a bag of holding daily & put back in?

anest1s

First Post
I get the tear apart, write on pieces, than mend part, I see how that would work.
Why the pull out of a bag of holding daily & put back in?

Because they have to be 24 hours next to each other (so their magical fields interfere). By sending one of them into an non dimensional space, you break that condition.

(Except if magic items inside a bag can be detected by detect magic)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Because they have to be 24 hours next to each other (so their magical fields interfere). By sending one of them into an non dimensional space, you break that condition.

(Except if magic items inside a bag can be detected by detect magic)
Oh....

Um, I really don't care if it can be detected or not. What I want to know is, by RAW, can multiple Explosive Runes be applied to a single piece of paper, than all be triggered by a failed Erase spell?

anest1s

First Post
Oh....

Um, I really don't care if it can be detected or not. What I want to know is, by RAW, can multiple Explosive Runes be applied to a single piece of paper, than all be triggered by a failed Erase spell?

I found a solution on how have them on a single piece of paper without them having a search DC 0 :p

I don't know about the Erase...

shadyizok

Explorer
The wotc archive had an intresting aplication of Explosive Runes that I loved: clicky

The main villain sends a messenger to the PCs bearing a message to be read aloud explaining the folly of their situation. The message includes explosive runes hidden at the very end of the page. When the messenger (who is reading the message, and who the villain obviously considers expendable) gets to the final phrase, the spell activates, killing the messenger, potentially damaging the PCs nearby, and definitely sending a message about how dangerous the villain truly is.

I used that in one of my games once and it was funny as hell since the players winded up having to pay the innkeeper for the damage. Ow and it was a good plothook offcourse :D

Gantros

Explorer
So, if I spend a year appling 365 Explosive Runes into a handful of glowing DANGER, can I dive into the mouth of the Tarrasque, fail an Erase spell, deal 2190d6 damage, spend 4 Insipration points as a free action to be immune to it, and then wade out of the explody guts victorious?

That seems like a valid tactic for insta-killing a powerful opponent, though it obviously requires a lot of preparation, and still has to contend with spell resistance.

And even if you managed to overcome the Tarrasque's SR, its regeneration means your victory would only last a couple of minutes (unless you happen to have a Wish spell handy). You might gain some XP for style though. ;)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
That seems like a valid tactic for insta-killing a powerful opponent, though it obviously requires a lot of preparation, and still has to contend with spell resistance.

And even if you managed to overcome the Tarrasque's SR, its regeneration means your victory would only last a couple of minutes (unless you happen to have a Wish spell handy). You might gain some XP for style though. ;)
Oh, sorry, I forgot a step.

Step 1: Get swallowed by Tarrasque.
Step 2: Spend 2 IP as a free action to ignore a target's DR and SR for one round.
Step 3: Spend 1 IP as a standard action to cast and fail an Erase spell on piece of paper.
deal 2190d6 damage.
Step 4: Spend 4 IP as a free action to be immune to the damage that would otherwise kill me.

and yes @anest1s , This would involve casting the Explosive Runes spell once a day, every day, for a year.

Remove ads