• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

explosives

fearghal

First Post
were there any type of exposives in the dnd times, im thinking of making a alcemist/wizard and i need to know of any think like if i could make gun powder.

CapnZapp

Legend
For balance reasons, alchemy is severely nerfed.

To pick a single example, consider the 4E version of the Smokestick (which you'll find in Adventurer's Vault).

It's a stick you can throw that when activated creates smoke.

In a burst 1 area (i.e. nine squares). This won't even fill a small room.

You can throw it a maximum of five squares. (That's right. Theoretically, you "consume" the stick and the effect happens up to five squares away)

The smoke isn't stronger than everything inside is lightly obscured only. And it lasts two turns only (about 12 seconds)...

Okay, so what does this baby cost then? 150 gp (plus the standard "sales tax" of up to 40%)

And what does its recipe cost you? 450 gp, and you can't create any unless you're at least sixth level and have the Alchemy feat.

And that's a puny Smokestick only! I can't even begin to imagine what epic requirements there would be for actual gunpowder...

Pbartender

First Post
were there any type of exposives in the dnd times, im thinking of making a alcemist/wizard and i need to know of any think like if i could make gun powder.

Adventurer's Vault has a dozen pages on Alchemical Items and how to make them. There are several items that have explosive effects similar to gunpowder (most notably, Alchemist's Fire -- simply describe it as a powder instead of a liquid). It also has variations for applying things like Alchemist's Fire to ranged weapon ammunition.

Remove ads