• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extended Rest House Rule

pukunui said:
Midnight - 6am: Extended Rest 1
6am - 6pm: Whatever
6pm - Midnight: Extended Rest 2

Looks to me like you can do two in one day with the current rule. Granted, you wouldn't be able to do it every day (more like every other day and then only if your timing was perfect), but the point remains that it's still doable to take more than one Extended Rest in any given 24 hour period under the RAW.
You can't do that. The very first sentence of the Extended Rest description says: "Once per day, you can gain the benefits of an extended rest.".

djdaidouji

First Post
Is there a limit to how many surges can be used in a short rest? Everyone takes a short rest, blows all their surges to get to full (with Pally's and Clerics helping with encounter healing powers), then right after, everyone takes a full rest and gets those surges back. Basically, it's adding an extra five minutes to every extended rest.

pukunui

Legend
Ulorian said:
You can't do that. The very first sentence of the Extended Rest description says: "Once per day, you can gain the benefits of an extended rest.".
Yes, you're right. But it also says that you only have to wait 12 hours in between extended rests, which implies that it can be used more than once per day. I suppose it's just to stop people from resting from 6pm to midnight, adventuring for half an hour then resting again from 12:30am to 6:30am.

Last edited:

pukunui said:
Yes, you're right. But it also says that you only have to wait 12 hours in between extended rests, which implies that it can be used more than once per day. I suppose it's just to stop people from resting from 6pm to midnight, adventuring for half an hour then resting again from 12:30am to 6:30am.
Exactly. See also post #6 in this thread.

Mercury

First Post
My group is looking at doing something similar. It does not make sense that if you took a severe beating the day before (you are at 1 hit point and have used all of your surges), that the next morning you wake up totally refreshed.

We were going to all you to heal 1 surge + half your level in hit points over night. That way, if someone wanted to be fully healed, they could (via surges), but would be low on surges for the day (making them feel at least a little of their beatings from the previous day).

Sashi

First Post
Mercury said:
My group is looking at doing something similar. It does not make sense that if you took a severe beating the day before (you are at 1 hit point and have used all of your surges), that the next morning you wake up totally refreshed.
It makes exactly as much sense as a guy with 8 healing surges being able to get knocked to zero and recover to full in five minutes, twice a day.

All this does is reduce the number of healing surges a party can use in one adventuring day before having to rest "Oops, I'm down to two surges, we better rest now or else I won't be at full health tomorrow."

Remove ads