• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Extra attacks for barbarian and fighter

I'm new to 5e, so apologies if my question seems obvious or rudimentary...If I'm reading the PHB correctly, a 5th level Path of the Beserker barbarian has the possibility of three attacks: his/her regular attack, the extra attack earned at level 5, and then a third attack (as a bonus action) when using Frenzy. Is this correct, or am I missing some restriction?Also, does a 5th level fighter have the ability to make four attacks? Attack twice instead of once because of Extra Attack, then do the same thing a second time because of Action Surge?It's been a long time since I've played D&D, and I don't remember my level five characters getting these kinds of multiple attacks at such a relatively low level. That's why I wonder if I'm misinterpreting something...

P.S. I also understand that when the barbarian makes it known he/she is going into Frenzy mode, the extra attack doesn't kick in until the next turn...

the Jester

Legend
That's correct, though I would add that the fighter can get five attacks if he can attack as a bonus action, for instance if he's two-weapon fighting or using the Polearm Mastery feat.

EDITED TO ADD: Also, note that frenzy adds a level of exhaustion to a character... so it's not an automatic "I'll use this whenever I rage" thing in most games.

Thanks, Jester. It seems strange to me that these PCs can have 3-4-5 attacks, and yet the level 5 Beast Master ranger gets two (having to burn one to continually command his animal friend to attack, which seems illogical). I suppose if the ranger is a dual wielder you could say he/she gets three, but still... I know this ranger issue has been discussed to death. Hopefully, Unearthed Arcana will give us some options to remedy that situation. Until then, I guess it makes sense to me to houserule it and say the ranger has to use an action to initate the pet attack, but then the pet will continue to attack (or whatever it was ordered to do) until the ranger gives a new instruction...

Sorry, changing the subject there...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I think all the warrior types have a way of getting the second standard attack around level 5.

And wizards can start casting fireball...5th level is a serious level.

the Jester

Legend
Thanks, Jester. It seems strange to me that these PCs can have 3-4-5 attacks, and yet the level 5 Beast Master ranger gets two (having to burn one to continually command his animal friend to attack, which seems illogical).

Don't underestimate how much damage output a ranger gets out of hunter's mark. From my experience, a ranger does about as much damage as a fighter or barbarian, but he does it slightly differently.

I have ruled that a ranger's pet continues to follow the command you give it (e.g. you tell it to Attack, it keeps attacking). It seems to work pretty well for me, but I've only seen one beastmaster, and only up to like level 4.

kerbarian

Explorer
Thanks, Jester. It seems strange to me that these PCs can have 3-4-5 attacks, and yet the level 5 Beast Master ranger gets two
At 5th level, the fighter and barbarian can only make two attacks per round on a sustained basis (three with dual wielding or a feat like Polearm Master), which is the same as a Ranger. The fighter and barbarian have ways of boosting their number of attacks temporarily, while the ranger can get extra situational attacks from Hunter's Prey (if a Hunter) and has spells. In particular, Hunter's Mark can make every ranger attack deal more damage.

There's been some discussion that the ranger class is a bit weaker than the other martial classes (especially the Beast Master), but I don't think it's due to the number of attacks. The paladin, for example, has even fewer options for extra attacks than the ranger but does just fine.

Uller

Adventurer
Don't underestimate how much damage output a ranger gets out of hunter's mark. From my experience, a ranger does about as much damage as a fighter or barbarian, but he does it slightly differently.

I have ruled that a ranger's pet continues to follow the command you give it (e.g. you tell it to Attack, it keeps attacking). It seems to work pretty well for me, but I've only seen one beastmaster, and only up to like level 4.

Yeah, abilities like hunter's mark or hex are not to be underestimated. I've found that (in my game at least) we have a lot of fights with several moderate to low CR critters. The difference between that +1d6 damage and normal damage is often enough to leave foes standing long enough to get an extra attack in before going down.

I like your beastmaster solution. It makes sense. I have a large dog. He's a bit feral (related to a Canaan Dog only larger and stronger)...I'm no "ranger" but he's pretty fearless and I'm certain if he felt like my kids or I were in danger I wouldn't have to spend time commanding him to fight. If anything I'd have to spend time commanding him to STOP fighting. I realize there is quite a bit of separation between game rules and real life for many reasons but it seems silly that a ranger would have to burn actions to get his companion to do anything. The default setting should simply be stay by master and attack anyone that is attacking master...

At 5th level, the fighter and barbarian can only make two attacks per round on a sustained basis (three with dual wielding or a feat like Polearm Master), which is the same as a Ranger. The fighter and barbarian have ways of boosting their number of attacks temporarily, while the ranger can get extra situational attacks from Hunter's Prey (if a Hunter) and has spells. In particular, Hunter's Mark can make every ranger attack deal more damage.

There's been some discussion that the ranger class is a bit weaker than the other martial classes (especially the Beast Master), but I don't think it's due to the number of attacks. The paladin, for example, has even fewer options for extra attacks than the ranger but does just fine.

You make a good point. I was forgetting the fact that the Action Surge can only be used once until needing a rest...

As far as the ranger goes, I'm totally ok with him/her not being quite as martial as a fighter or barbarian in terms of damage output. The ranger does have access to spells, healing, and other abilities. Just the same, so many of the ranger's abilities are dependent upon being in just a certain situation. And the handling of the Beast Master thing just doesn't make sense (the giving up the action to continually command the pet, especially, before 5th level: why would I order my beloved companion into battle and just sit there and take a pipeweed break while it fights and soaks up damage for me?).

Mercule

Adventurer
5th level is a serious level.
This. 5th level is the varsity team.

My players have been sitting just a few hundred XP shy of 5th level for a couple sessions* while they sell off stuff from LMoP and then get their bearings in Red Larch for PotA. I think they're going to pop if they don't level up, tonight.

* I refuse to be held responsible for the number of times they've started a conversation with a key NPC and then intentionally decided to not ask the NPC about the envoy from Miribar (i.e. someone at the table said "let's not tell them why we're here"). I think they've actually found every named NPC in the town.

Remove ads