• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extra Reasons To Play A Class

Hand of Graz'zt

First Post
I will soon be starting a new campaign and am in the middle of preparing the introductory handouts. As part of the handout I want to give my players some extra reasons for why you would want to play a certain class.

The types of things I am talking about is those special little side quests and the like which are unique to the class: like cleansing evil shrines in the name of your deity for clerics; or tracking down the spellbook of a long dead archmage for wizards.

Any ideas for some of the classes I have missed would be greatly appreciated, if you have any suggestions for those classes I already have some ideas for, by all means let me have it.

Here is what I have so far:

For all martial classes there is knightly orders or schools of martial techniques. (I would like to have distinct ones for each of the martial classes though)

Cleric
Discover long lost relics of your faith, convert the shrines of evil powers to your deity and be rewarded, build a congregation, interact with your deity

Fighter
Ranger
Rogue

Paladin
This would be similar to the Cleric.

Warlock
Bend otherworldly creatures to your will, join covens of warlocks in rituals of dark power, perform tasks for those whose power you call upon and be rewarded

Warlord

Wizard
Uncover ancient spellbooks of great mages, endure tests of magic to join secret societies of the magi,

theNater

First Post
Few ideas off the top of my head, so I make no guarantees as to quality:

Fighter-gladiatorial competitions

Ranger-tracking down an as-yet undiscovered beastie in preferred environment

Rogue-break into the home of a rich(and, if morality is an issue, evil) noble to steal an item of import. Have to get past guards and traps on the way.

Warlord-military objectives. Lead a small team to capture an enemy outpost, or perform strikes on supply lines.

And of course, every paladin loves questing for his Holy Avenger.

Terwox

First Post
Warlock (fey or star) - Infiltrate infernal covens through deception and strength

Ranger - Interact more positively with woodland (and perhaps fey) spirits

NeoNick

First Post
Perhaps this can give you some more?

Fighter - having to qualify for (and/or discover) ancient fighting styles (e g Kensei etc).

Warlord - my group associate this class with nobility (even though we know all classes can be noble). Five millions things come into mind when thinking about nobility; getting your small barony, building/repairing the fort/castle, protecting the citizens from an invasion of X.

Rogue - to advance in the guild/organization of preference he has to prove himself able to bring back item Y from the rather hard guarded place Z.

A good idea is to tie paragon classes to some organization in your world. Stipulate that before somebody can take a paragorn class they have to the above things before that organization are willing to provide the necessary training.

rhm001

First Post
Warlord - my group associate this class with nobility (even though we know all classes can be noble). Five millions things come into mind when thinking about nobility; getting your small barony, building/repairing the fort/castle, protecting the citizens from an invasion of X.

Everyone has mentioned some good options, but I want to second this (and the earlier mention of sellswords) in particular. The events from George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series of books seem like a good source of inspiration for this type of adventure: invasions? Check. Attacks on cities and castles? Check. And, although it wasn't mentioned specifically, plots/plans to assassinate and/or protect various nobles---with rewards including knighthood or additional land in some cases? Check.

renau1g

First Post
Yeah, it's pretty common in my RL campaigns that the fighter -type's goal is a stronghold. Probably a throwback to our 2e days, but still... nothing adds a new dimension to a game by adding those elements to it (I believe Baldur's Gate II & Neverwinter Nights II had these scenarios in it, which added to the fun factor).

I'm debating using the KoTS for this in the new campaign I'm about to start.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Fighter
Seek out a master to learn secret martial exploits. Pull garrison duty, go on patrol, train the local militia, serve in the gaurd, take a mercenary or bodygaurd position. Compete with other warriors - from friendly sparring or a formal joust to deadly duels or lethal arena combats against beasts from the far corners of the world.

Ranger
Explore a trackless wilderness area, hunt an obscure quarry, rescue a lost innocent from a haunted forest, go on patrol, take a group of nobles hunting, quest for a magic herb in the depths of the feywild. Plus at least some of the fighter activities.

Rogue
Pull a second story job, run a con, engage a rival rogue in a daring battle of wits, curry favor with or thwart the local guild, solve a mystery, plan the prefect crime.

Warlord
Drill the local militia into an effective fighting force, plan new defenses for the community, command a garrison, challenge a mercenary leader, plus just about any of the fighter activities.

Hand of Graz'zt

First Post
Thankyou for all the replies so far.

Some others I have come across is War Academy's and books on warfare for Warlord's - who doesnt want to be Sun-Tzu.

I am also giving some thought to tying aspects of the Feywild and Elemental forces to the Ranger (i.e. A Ranger that interacts with water a great deal may attract the attention of a powerful Water Elemental patron), similarly I could do something with Rogues and the Shadowfell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads