• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extradimensional spaces and teleportation

Ambrus

Explorer
I've been wondering; is there a concensus on the feasibility of teleporting into or out of an extradimensional space? Can one dimension door into or out of the interior of a bag of holding, rope trick or a Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion for instance? Are these locations considered to be on the material plane or apart somehow? If they are effectively their own pocket planes, could one plane shift into or out of one? I'm considering staging an adventure in a Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion and am wondering what the ramifications are in case this issue arrises.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Ambrus said:
I've been wondering; is there a concensus on the feasibility of teleporting into or out of an extradimensional space? Can one dimension door into or out of the interior of a bag of holding, rope trick or a Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion for instance? Are these locations considered to be on the material plane or apart somehow? If they are effectively their own pocket planes, could one plane shift into or out of one? I'm considering staging an adventure in a Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion and am wondering what the ramifications are in case this issue arrises.
Not possible to teleport. An extra-dimensional space is basically a tiny demi-plane. You can use Plane Shift or other means of planar travel, however, to get into and out of an extra-dimensional space.

Ambrus

Explorer
What you say makes sense. Plane shift's description says that it can be used to "move yourself or some other creature to another plane or alternate dimension". I'd say that an extradimensional space would probably count as an "alternate dimension". The spell also mentions however that "precise accuracy as to a particular arrival location on the intended plane is nigh impossible". With a spell that often misses the target destination by several tens of miles, would it be resonable to expect to appear on target in an extadimensional space only a few feet wide? Also, since a specially keyed metal tuning fork is required to reach a specific plane, how difficult would it be to devise a tuning fork attuned for a particular extra-dimensional space? I imagine that the makeup of the forks for the major outer planes is commonly known among practicioners of this spell, but I imagine it'd be a bit trickier to figure out a pocket-dimension's fork. Does it make sense that a character could plane shift into an enemy's magnificent mansion at all?

Jack Simth

First Post
I'd probably permit the maker of a Magnificent Mansion to use the same spoon he used as a focus to make the mansion to get to it via plane shift, if he thinks about it beforehand and forks the handle end of the spoon or some such (it's a Spork!).

If that's not available, Gate will get you there, no focus needed.

Remove ads