Eyes Of The Lich Queen

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ari looks over everything, then prepares to step onto the platform. "I can try with the rope. Looks like its just to pull across." He looks down at the lava. "Not everything has to be a deathtrap." The last part almost sounds like a wish.

Velmont

First Post
"No, I don't think everything should be one, but better be cautious, we know there have been one and there might be more." tells Jango, giving one hand of the rope to Ari. "Tie it around your waist." He hands the other end to Donovan. "Keep that end. Jina, Rogan, help him to hold the rope. The three of you should be correct in case he falls. Khalia and I will help you if needed."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ari takes the end of the rope that Jango hands him and securely ties it around his waist. He then takes a cautious step forward onto the platform. The first thing that Ari notices as both feet get onto it is that there's no swing or give to the platform at all. Even when he tries to shake it a bit on it's chains back and forth, it doesn't move. It's somehow forzen in place.

The monster hunter turns back to the others and nods, then reaches up and takes ahold of the rope that hangs from the ceiling. He gives it a pull, and suddenly the platform releases from the ledge edge and swings smoothly, gently and horizontally over the span before connecting to the center island. Once again, he notices that there was no jerky motions or sudden jolts from the chain going slack... and indeed when he glances upwards he sees that the chains have somehow remained taut even from this end, which is physically impossible. Obviously some sort of magic is involved in this platform pendulum effect.

Ari stands on the platform on the far side at the center isle. The other rope now dangles over the platform as well.

[sblock=Khalia, Jina]You both happened to glance upward and noticed that when the platform secured itself to the center island, the large crystaline shard in the ceiling over the island began to emit a dull blue glow.[/sblock]

Mista Collins

First Post
Seeing the platform slide across the opening effortlessly on it's chains, Rogan looks to the others. "That is interesting."

"Do you think that rope will bring you back?" Rogan asks Ari who is now closer to the center platform.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Mista Collins said:
"Do you think that rope will bring you back?" Rogan asks Ari who is now closer to the center platform.
"Only one way to find out," and, with that, the hunter tugged the other rope. Assuming it did not lead to his demise, he carefully began ferrying folks across to the center platform.

"Any gawkers want to study that thing, or should we go on?"

Autumn

First Post
"Look - the crystal's glowing," Jina exclaims, gazing up at the thing. "That's new. I guess it has something to do with moving the platform?"

She looks about, checking that nothing else - like those statues - seems to be affected.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jina said:
"Look - the crystal's glowing. That's new. I guess it has something to do with moving the platform?"
Upon her announcement, everyone looks up and sees that indeed, the crystaline shard that is embedded in the ceiling directly over the center platform has begun to glow with a dim blue light.

Jina glances around at the other items in the cavern... the statues and the like... but those remain unchanged.

Rogan said:
"Do you think that rope will bring you back?"
Ari said:
"Only one way to find out"
Ari pulls on the other rope at the center island, and just like before the platform immediately releases and swings silently and gently on a smooth arc back to the floor edge where the group stands, reconnecting with the ledge with nary a jolt.

Jina points upwards and lets everyone know that the shard has stopped glowing, and that it turned off as soon as the platform left the center island.

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, warpriestly human cleric

DEFCON 1 said:
Jina points upwards and lets everyone know that the shard has stopped glowing, and that it turned off as soon as the platform left the center island.

"If platform's supported magically, so we don't have to worry about overtaxing the weight allowance, we should all get on. The less we're separated, the harder it is to divide and conquer," Donovan suggests.

[sblock=OOC]I thought about casting Detect Magic on the crystal, but then realized I keep forgetting to put ranks in Spellcraft, which makes that spell a lot less effective. ;) [/sblock]

Remove ads