Factions in Barovia: How will they work?

With the new season less than a month away and no ALPG 4.0 as of this post, I'm curious as to how the faction system is going to be integrated into the CoS season. Will the same five factions be present in Barovia? What role will they play in the AL Adventure modules? What kinds of faction abilities will be added to this season?

RulesJD

First Post
For what it's worth, you get Renown for completing 4-1. However, in the opening instructions, there was no mention of faction resurrection. Presumably something will be implemented, otherwise that means perma-death is a possibility right from level 1.

kalani

First Post
We should have more answers for this shortly. The Admins had several meetings at Winter Fantasy in order to discuss changes to the upcoming season, and are awaiting the results of those meetings to be announced.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
To be honest, Ive never found the hardcover modules to be seriously aligned to the factions. Sure they get a mention in a few of the modules but not really near the heart of the story. I dont really expect anything different from the Curse of Strahd Hardcover. Faction charity in such scenarios is a bit of a scene killer.. how does your LA Fighter come back after he has fallen to his death in the underdark?

Its the part of the campaign that requires the most breaking the wall as the character magically comes back to life.

Personally Id love it if the free res thing did not exist for this season, but I think that would be way too hard to implement.

I look forward to the Players Guide with bated breath.

To be honest, Ive never found the hardcover modules to be seriously aligned to the factions. Sure they get a mention in a few of the modules but not really near the heart of the story. I dont really expect anything different from the Curse of Strahd Hardcover. Faction charity in such scenarios is a bit of a scene killer.. how does your LA Fighter come back after he has fallen to his death in the underdark?

Its the part of the campaign that requires the most breaking the wall as the character magically comes back to life.

Personally Id love it if the free res thing did not exist for this season, but I think that would be way too hard to implement.

I look forward to the Players Guide with bated breath.

Well OotA had a blurb that encouraged DMs to have the party come across scrolls of Raise Dead if party members dropped in the early stages of the adventure. I wouldn't be surprised if CoS has a similar blurb.

Hopefully, the ALPG 4.0 comes out within the next week so that I have plenty of time to go over the changes before the season starts.

kalani

First Post
I would not expect the ALPG 4 to come out before the start of March (but we might be lucky). It should be released prior to March 15th however, as that is when the ALPG 3.0 expires and becomes obsolete.

With the new season less than a month away and no ALPG 4.0 as of this post, I'm curious as to how the faction system is going to be integrated into the CoS season. Will the same five factions be present in Barovia? What role will they play in the AL Adventure modules? What kinds of faction abilities will be added to this season?

There are plans. Since the factions are in FR and the PCs are in Barovia, factions will play a very limited roll. As representatives of the factions in a new realm, its largely up to the PCs to convince the locals that their faction is the best one and potentially gain benefits that way. More will appear in the ALPG.

Presumably something will be implemented, otherwise that means perma-death is a possibility right from level 1.

The factions are not present, however, there are two NPCs from FR that get sucked in with the PCs that can cast spells (along with others that cannot). These will be offering spells for sale and one of them even has a mechanism for discounts or free spells! Of course she'll want something else in return...

Remove ads